Headlamps

Roybrew

I just purchased a new headlamp over the holidays. The Petzl Aria1IMG_20240107_200807346.jpg
It has 350 lumens and weighs 3.8 ounces

Roybrew

Oops . Hit the send button before I was ready. Anyhow it weighs in at 3.8 ounces and uses 3 AAA batteries IMG_20240108_144036568.jpg With 350 lumens I should have a problem finding my camp spot in the dark, or even seeing a snake before I step on it. Snakes hate being stepped onshutterstock_1936548160-scaled.jpg The Aria is a little beefier then my old Ptec Byte IMG_20240108_144222109.jpg the Byte uses 2 AAA, 200 lumens and weighes a little lessIMG_20240108_144042631.jpg
Roy

Northern Dancer

I think whoever came up with the idea of a"head" lamp was one of the more creative innovations of recent years. Like many, I have more than one because they keep on improving them.

Northern Dancer

Oops . Hit the send button before I was ready. Anyhow it weighs in at 3.8 ounces and uses 3 AAA batteries View attachment 4294 With 350 lumens I should have a problem finding my camp spot in the dark, or even seeing a snake before I step on it. Snakes hate being stepped onView attachment 4295 The Aria is a little beefier then my old Ptec Byte View attachment 4296 the Byte uses 2 AAA, 200 lumens and weighes a little lessView attachment 4297
Roy
-----> Okay, okay, how did I manage to miss the smiling snake? Or could it be my mind took evasive action and blurred my vision to prevent "man screaming"?

Roybrew

I don't remember if I told this before, but here I go anyhow. My brother and I were fishing late one evening. The sun just set and it was getting dark out. A great time for top water baits being chugged out from the heavily wood banks. We could barely see the bank and trying to stay within 30 feet from them. I was tossing this 3 inch chugger popper under tree limbs that were overhanging the water. When I heard it land on the water, I would give it a little jerk and make it pop on the water. It's a real blast when a fish erupts on a top water bait. Every once in awhile a person wouldn't get it low enough and thwack! You'd hit a tree limb. Ugh! Ohh well. We would slowly creep in and try to untangle it, as quietly as we could. So that's how it began, thwack! "Hey Jim, I'm in that tree over there" we would spot the area with our headlamps and go in after it. Of course here in the south we do have slithery creatures that hang out in tree limbs looking for a tasty treat like frogs and salamanders. We slowly worked our way toward the sound of my shaking lure. Just as we got under the tree limb that the lure was hooked on, a green snake fell off that limb and almost fell in the boat. My brother freaked out. Get that lure and let's get away from this bank! Ha it was just a little ole green snake. He didn't want anything to do with it.

Yes a good light is nice to have. I'm sure there's lots of critters that don't want someone mistakingly reaching in for a touchy feely moment with them.

ppine

Forester
When you camp, get in the habit of having headlamps around. In your pocket, in the truck in your duffel bag.
I take them to parties for finding the truck at night. Some of my friends have big acreage.
I use them in the house late at night and use them in the yard to turn off the irrigation system.

Northern Dancer

I have a new wrap-around forehead headlamp I use for snow camp. It's like turning on a flood light as it lights up the entire terrain before you. Dunno, like everything else these innovative devices can be a bit much.

At one time I used to light up the campsite with kerosene/propane lanterns, then I advanced to battery-operated, and then on to solar. Now I use a light with a renewable battery that I put into my old kerosene hurricane lanterns after removing the wick. I set the timer and it comes on in the dark and shuts itself off after 4 or 6 hours. I can turn it on from inside my tent should I feel I need some outside light.

4323 Everbright Headlamp

I have four headlamps in total because each new one seemed better and stronger than the last one. Now you can have glove lights, footlights, headlamps, and such.

I've used this kind too. It keeps my head warm when I'm in a sleeping bag on a cold evening and gives me immediate light should I need the same.

...and the beat goes on.

Last edited: