Hiya.

catspa

New member here, lurked a little, first post.

I grew up camping and hiking in WA and AK, always enjoyed a variety of outdoor activities. Now I live outside a little not-even-a-town on Washington's Olympic peninsula, where there are all kinds of opportunities if you don't mind the rain.

I homesteaded 4 acres and built a small cabin, and realized that my everyday life has a lot of camping elements all the time. So even if I'm not on a trip, I still don't stray far from the camping lifestyle.

Also, membership in the local search and rescue squad means I need to keep my gear ready to go all the time, and carry not only what I need, but gear to care for a lost or injured person until we can get them back to civilization. There's some good outdoor skill training in the squad as well.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to reading your posts and maybe adding a few of my own.

Parker

Grandpa

Welcome to the forums, pull a log up to the fire and join right in. Lot of good people here and we'd love to hear your outlook and views as well.

oldsarge

Welcome catspa! Sounds like you're living the dream. Looking forward to hearing from you in these forums. Welcome to the OBC family

jason

fear no beer
Greetings and salutations. How are things going up there? Thank you for the service too.

Pathfinder1

I usually don't trek very far,
when all around me black bears are.

Hi...

Welcome. I'm sure all of us are pleased to have somebody on board with skills like yours...!!

Uh oh...is that a grizzly's footprint? Then I bumped into it.

catspa

Thanks for the welcome, folks.

Jason, thanks for asking - things are kinda economically depressed up here, especially in the logging and construction industries. But I don't need much to get by, and not working means more time for outdoor activities, so I can't complain... That's one thing about having a regular job - it sure puts a crimp in your hobbies.

That said, I'm coasting into winter with a full freezer and plenty of firewood split and stacked, so I feel pretty good. I still need to wrap the main water line, though.

Parker

jason

fear no beer
Well if it makes you feel better my county was supported by the housing industry. Building new houses, cabinet shops, plumbers, electricians, etc... That is all gone now. Lots of shops closed up and even whole new communities there were being built have been foreclosed upon.

Glad to hear you are doing good though. Getting cold up there yet? How much fire wood are you going through?

catspa

Not cold, down close to freezing at night but not quite, warms up 10 or 20 during the day. I'm burning mostly lumber offcuts in evening fires right now, just to use them up.

I set myself a silly challenge not to use the electric heat until 1 November. That's also when I can install the winter tires, so the official start of winter in my mind. So far so good, although a couple mornings have been kinda chilly.

Parker

jason

fear no beer
I wish you luck. Warms up to 10 or 20. I do not think I've seen that in a long time here in Florida. I will get slapped by my fellow Floridians, but I miss that sometimes. No snow either.

catspa

No, sorry. I meant warms up 10 or 20 degrees to 40 or 50.

However, this morning it was 32 exactly when I woke up, had to scrape frost off the windshield. So I guess it's winter now, I can store away the shorts and tank tops...

Parker

jason

fear no beer
I really have to get some more sleep. I keep reading things wrong. Still cooler then here. I'm in Shorts and tank top. Grown to love tank tops this year with all the yard work being done.