How big is your tent?

jackquontee

My first tent (purchased last year) is a Coleman 8-person Instant tent, and I just purchased a Kodiak canvas 8-person 10x14 Flex Bow. I did a test run in the back yard and Love It!

Eaglescout 49

I've been just car camping for some years now, but until last year kept using my trusty old two-man (actually one-large-man) pup tent from my hiking days.

Now I have a Big House 6 from Big Agnes. It's 8x10 -- more than enough room for a double cot and all my gear and tall enough to stand up in. It's easy to set up; has all sorts of built-in storage and even has a sky window.

People tell me I'm getting soft. I don't argue with them

tylert27

I'm single and don't have any kids so when I go camping I always try to camp light. Generally I bring a tent that holds only 2-4 people, depending on who I bring with me.

woodsman

I'm on the short side, 5'10" and my girlfriend is 5'6", we fit comfortably in a two person tent which is 6'10"x5'4" tent. I don't see the point in carrying something larger, it's not like we're going to invite a bear to snuggle up next to us.

woodsman

To each his own I guess, but you know what they say dinosaur, it's not about how big it is, what counts is how well you can use it.

WideOpenSpace

My chap and I are on the shorter side, so we're lucky that we don't have to worry too much about the height side of things! In terms of capacity we have a 4 person tent which is divided into sections and we sleep in one while the dogs have the other. It's served us pretty well so far.

jumpup

I love reading about everyone's tents and the reasons their tents do and don't work for their situations! We have a small, two-person tent. There's no way our family of five can use it all together, but it works well for weekend trips with one adult and one child.

Birddog

I bought the coleman 6 person instant tent and it's plenty tall in the center,but no way even more than 4 could camp in this tent unless they were babies.anyway I should have gotten the next size up but am very happy with this tent,but it doesn't come with a rain fly,I just tarp over and it's stayed dry inside in 4 rainstorms so far.its a good tent for Florida camping and never have had to stake it at all.

OutdoorMomma

We have a family of six and recently bought an eight person cabin style tent. Plenty of room to stand up and move around. We haven't used the dividers for the separate rooms yet, it was a bit chilly last time so we needed the body heat!

Judy Ann

Before purchasing any of my tents I measured pads or air mattresses and allowed for moving around and gear stashing room. My 4 person REI Halfdome is comfortable for two, but would be like packed sardines to fit 4 into. My LightHeart Gear Solo is built so that my old dog has room inside along with a backpack. My six person canvas tent holds 3 single air mattresses and that is close enough for me to be with others when on week long trips.

Grandpa

You can't enjoy the days if you don't get a good nights sleep.

Son-in-law said "leave your tent and stay with Jake and I in my new 4 man tent". Yeah, sure, we tucked 10 year old Jake in the corner, had to listen to SIL snore like a Harley reving up, then Jake went into his "Anasazi Rain Dance" routine in the middle of the night. Tucked him into one corner, woke up the next morning and he was in the opposite corner facing the opposite way, with a few rising up and shouting episodes in the middle of the night. A circus tent is too small to share with them two.:tinysmile_twink_t2:

I have accumulated several tents. Very light weight tiny tents for backpacking all the way to the big canvas cabin tents. Whatever the use in whatever weather conditions, I have a tent that fits the bill.

ChadTower

I bought the coleman 6 person instant tent and it's plenty tall in the center,but no way even more than 4 could camp in this tent unless they were babies.anyway I should have gotten the next size up but am very happy with this tent,but it doesn't come with a rain fly,I just tarp over and it's stayed dry inside in 4 rainstorms so far.its a good tent for Florida camping and never have had to stake it at all.

That tent didn't come with a rainfly? Are you sure it wasn't just missing from the box? That makes no sense. I took a hard look at that at Bass Pro when they had it set up for display. The amount of plastic joints in that thing really concern me for long term use.

ponderosa

I have accumulated several tents. Very light weight tiny tents for backpacking all the way to the big canvas cabin tents. Whatever the use in whatever weather conditions, I have a tent that fits the bill.[/QUOTE]

Yep! Some people collect stamps or rocks or knick knacks of one kind or another. I collect tents.

Birddog

That tent didn't come with a rainfly? Are you sure it wasn't just missing from the box? That makes no sense. I took a hard look at that at Bass Pro when they had it set up for display. The amount of plastic joints in that thing really concern me for long term use.
From what I read on the reviews on amazon,I knew that coleman was selling the tents without a rainfly.Don't know why but they were selling them separately and it's a big mess.They claimed it didn't need one in the advertising,that their tents were sealed well,but I didn't take a chance.I read in reviews to use a tarp would keep it dry in a rainstorm and I did use a 4 by 6 with some bungees and it worked great in 2 day on and off rains it stayed dry inside.Now they make rainfly's for them after much customer complaints,and sell them separately,at about $30 so I'll just use my small tarp and save the money,it works just as well,the poles keep it up from the tent to get ventilation in between.i agree it's the first tent I ever saw without a rainfly included,makes no sense !

Last edited:

Birddog

I have accumulated several tents. Very light weight tiny tents for backpacking all the way to the big canvas cabin tents. Whatever the use in whatever weather conditions, I have a tent that fits the bill.
Yep! Some people collect stamps or rocks or knick knacks of one kind or another. I collect tents.[/QUOTE]

Me too ! I have a big cabelas tent I bough two years ago that sleeps 10 I still haven't took out of the box yet.i bought it for a weeks vacation at one site with friends and then my plans had to be canceled.i'll use it eventually !

stm1957

NotMy1stRodeo
The sleeping tent is a Cabela's 12x12 XWT which is big enough for 2 XL cots, 2 folding side tables, two Coleman chairs, and a wheeled trunk that transports the tent and serves as a night stand between the cots. There is still plenty of room to walk around... Ceiling ht. is nearly 6' @ 16" away from the walls and over 7' at the center.

The kitchen tent is a 15x13 Cabela's Alaskan Guide Gazebo in which we set up a large custom built camp kitchen (with a Camp Chef 3 burner propane stove) and one of our 30"x60" dining tables w/ two camp chairs.

Hirsch

Mine are 7x7, four are 6x8, 7x9, two 10x12, one 8x10 and one 13x20. I also have two nylon tarps (7x7 and 9x12) that I sleep under in the summer.

Last edited: