How hot can I use a 20* bag?

charley

I have a 20* down bag that I have had in the teens. How high in the other direction do you think I could go? 40? 50? I sweat easy so I haven't used this bag above 35.

ponderosa

We use 20* bags spring, summer, and fall, and even when we went to Hawaii since it's what we had. If it's too warm, unzip it and use it like a blanket. That way you can easily stick a foot or leg out if you're too warm. My husband sometimes ends up on top of his bag on warm nights. You'll probably be happier with a lightweight summer bag or just a light blanket for hot weather, but you can make the 20* bag work if that's all you've got.

Michael

I have a 40 degree bag. If I sleep in it above 50, I wake up drenched in sweat unless I unzip it all the way. If I unzip it, I keep rolling out of it in the night (since it's a mummy bag) and then I wake up cold. So I'm planning to invest in a light weight bag liner to use in the warm months.

Of course, I tend to overheat while I sleep. I'm like a furnace. Even in 40-45 degrees, I feel a little too warm in my 40 degree bag. I could probably take the thing down to freezing without a problem.

So, really, I'd suggest that you try it out. If you've had it to 35 and it wasn't too hot, try it out on a night that's supposed to be around 40.

bsmit212

Go as hot as you want. There is nothing stopping you from using a 20* bag on a 100* night, other than comfort. When I first started 20* was all I had and would take it with me, even on hot Georgia nights and like ponderosa's husband end up on top half the time. After about 2 summers for this I had enough of carrying the weight of a 20* that I just slept ontop of so I bought a 55* from REI, their travle sack and is only about $55 bucks I think.

Lamebeaver

I have a 40 degree bag. If I sleep in it above 50, I wake up drenched in sweat unless I unzip it all the way. If I unzip it, I keep rolling out of it in the night (since it's a mummy bag) and then I wake up cold. So I'm planning to invest in a light weight bag liner to use in the warm months.

Of course, I tend to overheat while I sleep. I'm like a furnace. Even in 40-45 degrees, I feel a little too warm in my 40 degree bag. I could probably take the thing down to freezing without a problem.

So, really, I'd suggest that you try it out. If you've had it to 35 and it wasn't too hot, try it out on a night that's supposed to be around 40.
The above post does a pretty good job of explaining the problem you're facing. The question is not "how hot can you" but rather "how hot do you want to...."

For me, if the temps aren't going to get below the high 40s, I'd switch up.

charley

I don't like laying in the tent or hammock sweating while trying to sleep. I think I will experiment a bit in the yard but use less when temp is above 45.

littlefire

Experimenting is a great idea before using it out in the wild when you don't have any alternatives. I say blast it as high as you like. ;)

ppine

Forester
Charley,
Your question is like asking me "When should I brush my teeth?" Everyone is different. If you sleep warm, try a blanket from home for warm temperatures. Don't over analyze being in the outdoors. Experience is your greatest teacher.

Edit- Anyone who takes this thread seriously just needs to sleep outside more. Sleep in the backyard, sleep in the back of the truck, take a nap in the woods, etc. and then you will know exactly what temps you like and what equipment you should take.

Last edited:

Davefromva

Tool-Shed
I have a 20* down bag that I have had in the teens. How high in the other direction do you think I could go? 40? 50? I sweat easy so I haven't used this bag above 35.
Charley, to answer your question the way you wanted it answered, I would say that 50 degrees would be the max "I" would use a 20 degree bag for. I have used my 20 degree bag alot in temps as high as that and I often find myself unzipping them or removing clothing but I was still comfortable in the morning. Any temps higher than that I would Highly recommend bringing just a blanket or invest in a Goose Down quilt with 1.5" lofts

pastywhite

Grand Poobah
I have a 20 and a 40. This works well for me. When it is real warm I just use the 40 as a blanket.

Cappy

Sheeeeesh, It's camping folks, not techno outdoor research. if its cold ya sleep in a sleeping bag if its hot you sleep on sleeping bag. Just that simple.

ppine

Forester
Cappy is my new hero. He has an economy with words and a wonderful way of expressing himself. There is no substitute for experience folks. We can tell who has it.

ChadTower

I only have one bag. I think it's in the 30 degree range. If I'm cold, I zip it up to my neck, and I wear more clothes inside of it. If I'm hot I open it up or sleep on top. It's not that big of an issue.

How many people really sleep outside voluntarily below freezing anyway?

ppine

Forester
Chad,
We have been through this with you already. Most of the really great places to camp in North America have freezing temperatures in any month. You need to get out more.

I like Ponderosa's list but would add Washington, British Columbia, Alberta, the Yukon, Alaska, and the Northwest Territories as other topnotch places to camp.

Chad,
Several million people in this country and 10s of millions around the world sleep in below freezing temperatures on a routine basis. Some people like the Innuit, Lapps, herders of Mongolia, people in Siberia live in places where it is below freezing nearly all the time at night and they live outdoors.

Last edited:

Cappy

Most of the really great places to camp in North America have freezing temperatures in any month.

How many people really sleep outside voluntarily below freezing anyway?

Sounds to me like yall both need ta broaden yall outlook. This is a big ole country and the diversity is what makes it the best place in the world. Stead of argueing over da fence take a peek at the other side. Camping in the cold aint my thing but i can apreciate the folks who do. You Ice fishers are a constant sourse of amusement to me.:tinysmile_tongue_t: But each to his own.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

ppine

Forester
It is now official- I hereby deem Cappy the "Voice of the Turtle". Any serious arguements that end in a tie, we go to him for the final say.

ChadTower

Chad,
We have been through this with you already. Most of the really great places to camp in North America have freezing temperatures in any month. You need to get out more.

I like Ponderosa's list but would add Washington, British Columbia, Alberta, the Yukon, Alaska, and the Northwest Territories as other topnotch places to camp.

That wasn't my question. My question wasn't "how many places". It was "how many people." By definition, ppine, you are not very many people.