How many would survive?

ppine

Forester
I went to a school with a guy from Russia back in the 1970s. We were sitting outside one sunny day in Seattle at the U of WA. The guy remarked that in Russia you would never see so many geese, ducks and other birds flying around. "Why not?" I asked. "Because people would have already eaten them," he said.

edit-
In the historical context, our society is probably the least well equiped to live on their own of any that has existed in human history. The exceptions are people that take time to prepare and learn the old ways. Young people are especially vulnerable and helpless. They lack the mental toughness to overcome adversity.

Last edited:

Scotty

I know what you guys are talking about. My wife and I would be valuable because I'm an EMT and she's an RN. That would be better than nothing. She is an OB/GYN nurse and has helped deliver babies for years, she would be a great asset to a community. She knows how to spin wool, knit, sew and crochet too so that would be valuable. I'm hoping I would be able to explain this to someone before they cut my head off and used my body as tomorrow's meal.

CozInCowtown

I spent a year or so in Tver, Russia and I assure you the remains of communism are everywhere and the people will not return to that.
They still have a long way to go but it is getting better every day.
DC

mccallum

It will take a number of things

1) What Grandpa said; people shareing what they know

2) It will mean share what we have as a community -- gardens take time to grow so prepers and Mormons have the right idea; stock pile canned goods and other dried foods.

3) what the cause of the need to survive --- if the disaster caused some kind of animal die off, hunting just went for a circular trip down the crapper! Same if there is a contamination of soil or ground water.

These are the things that come to mind quickly.