How old is your tent?

BigSur

How old is your tent? My tent is around 5 years old and my buddy keeps busting on me for it. I'm like, "What do you want me to do? Buy a new tent ever year?" Besides this one works fine.

mccallum

My dome tent (two/threeish person) is +/- 35 years old and the cabin tent (4-6ish person) is 5-8 year old both were used 2012. We can slept the wife, the kid, a small dog (10-15 pounder) and me with duffles its first use. The second the wife two dogs the 10ish lb and the lab mix 50 lb as well as their crates) me and the dome had the kid and a friend this last trip.

Grandpa

We still have grandma's grandfathers old canvas tent, seldom used but still very serviceable. circa early 20's. My 1966 canvas wall hunting tent, another old wall tent I found in a thrift store for $5, my in-laws old canvas umbrella pop up, circa late 50's. The cheaper tents through our early married years were pretty well used. Still have the big one but gave a smaller one to a grandson. My newest two backpacking tents are 6 and 4 years old. One for light summer hiking and a 3season for stormier anticipations. I also have a 12 year old eureka for winter camping. It's supposed to be 3 season but has weathered up to a foot of new snow with no problems. (Eureka gives a lot of bang for the buck. There are better tents but usually at twice the price)

I have hooks in the ceiling of my gear storage room so even during inclement weather, my tents and bags can be hung to completely dry immediately after every trip. If the weather is good, the old basketball standard outside works wonders for hanging gear in the sun and wind before storage. I also throw a couple of dessicant packs into the bags containing the old, seldom used gear.

AK Hunter

It is a WWII Army surplus tent handed down from dad, gently used but is starting to show some wear.

Hikenhunter

My 12 x 12 Hanging tent is about 10 years old, The 10 x 10's are 6 years and 2 years old. The 3 man Eureka is about 25 yrs. and both of my 2 man Eurekas are between 15 and 20 years of age.

briansnat

Platnium Member
Our LL Bean Dome is abut 20

Our 6 person Walrus is about 15 and same for our 4 person Walrus

Our 2 person Sierra Designs backpacking tent is about 7 years old

My solo Mountainsmith is 6 years old

Our matching Warbonnet camping hammocks will be two this spring.

Last edited:

dinosaur

troublemaker
Mine is 19 years old. It's a two man because I generally camp with my dog and there's plenty of room for him. I had an old canvas wall tent that my Dad brought back with him from WWII. I gave it away to someone who could put it to more use.

And, BigSur, next time your buddy busts on you ask him why he continually wants to fix things that aren't broken.

Bojib

I'm thinking my Eureka is somewhere in the neighborhood of eight or nine years old.

Still looks like new.

ppine

Forester
Canvas wall tent made in Denver is 33 years old and currently up in the backyard.The new metal frame supports it better in the wind than the old wooden poles sawhorse style. My Sierra Designs bping tent is about 20 years old. Canvas Baker tent is about 8 yo.

When I was a kid we had Grandpa's canvas Baket tent he bought after WWI. It lived in Seattle for decades and rotted out finally. The family had an umbrella tent and a Baker tent, both canvas and sold be Sears and Roebuck. They were from the 1950s. One rotted and other I gave away after it started to come apart. I have had one nylon tent from Cablela's start to fall apart. It got a lot of use and the stitching and some of the nylon got weak after about 10-12 years.

TakeAHike

We have several tents. The smallest one, which sleeps 4, is about 15 years old. The next one up is probably about 20 years old. We did upgrade last year to a cabin tent, but we still use the smaller ones in certain situations. Why get a new one if the old one still works?

Gunny Webb

Outdoor Member
I have a large tent thats 6 years old, several small ones from a new Tarptent to an old original Moss tent when he made them himself one at the time. Even have some unisued army pup tent, early 60's era. All tents in great shape and very usable.
Take care of your stuff and it lasts for at least 15-20 years. The only tent I had to retire was a store return Kelty I bought in 1982. It had been put up so many times and took so many beatings in high winds that the seams were pulling loose. Wouldn't stay waterproofed anymore. Best $30 I ever spent for 20 plus years of service.

BigSur

Wow that's great that all of you chimed in. A WWII tent still in usable condition? That's amazing. Now I don't feel so bad for having a 5 year old tent anymore. Sure, it's not the prettiest thing out there, but it works!

Treehugger

Hubster and posse of 4 (the Buzzards) make it a point to get together the same September weekend every year for their annual biking/camping/drinking trip in Vermont. They’ve been using the same old 6-man tent since their first get together 10 years ago. I have no idea how old that tent is. Even if the thing falls apart, they’re sure to continue to use it in honor of their fallen comrade and Buzzard King, who founded the event but passed away about 5 years ago. RIP, Thorne.

ppine

Forester
My girl and I were out in the wall tent last night with the wood stove going to celebrate 15 years together. The fact that she likes being there in December is one of the reasons we are still together. The Pine Nut Mtns were pink in the fading afternoon light viewed thru the tent flap.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
My old car camping tent is a two man dome about 12 years old. It still works fine, but it's only been used probably six times. I don't really car camp any more…
I have my hennessy hammock tent, it's two years old and probably slept in it 10 times. My newest tent is my winter hammock - my Eno with no bug net, It's six months old or so but I've only used it once. Hopefully my tent-buying is behind me for several years.

Barney

I have a tent my father left me that was built way before I was born. :) It is an old heavy canvas type tent with huge grommets and aluminum construction.

Last edited:

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
I've got a tent from my father that was build way before I was born. :) It is an old heavy canvas type tent with huge grommets and aluminum construction.
Spent plenty of nights in one of those as a kid. Everywhere we went we stayed in a tent. Disney World (You haven't lived until you've spent a week car camping at Disney World in Florida in July!), Myrtle Beach State Park (Ditto SC in June)…

My grandfather had this huge six man canvas green and yellow tent with aluminum poles the size of closet rods. Just putting the thing up was an adventure. No to mention floating around the tent on the pool float (ummm - air mattress) at 3am in a thunderstorm. I don't recall staying in a hotel room as a kid until we were teens.

NatureGal

My tent is about three years old. I don't see the point in buying a new one often if the current one works just fine.

Stargazer

I have a two person dome that is 15 years old and a cabin tent that sleeps six that is about 30 years old. Our family used to camp in it when I was a kid.