Howdy Howdy

Bojib

Guess I'll try and introduce myself here.

I'm 31, and have always had a general interest in just about all things outdoors. I suppose I never did have a chance, I was raised deep in the head of a "holler" in Southeastern Kentucky, just miles from a lake, and surrounded by trails of all types.

Growing up I spent as much time outside as I could, I thought TV and video games were boring, and still do. You could always find me riding my bicycle, walking a trail near the house, fishing at the lake, or just sitting out enjoying the fresh air. As I grew older I became more into ATVs and trail riding that way.

I'm also very interested in wilderness navigation, and GPS. As I grow older in head into more and more unfamiliar territory, it seems to become more and more important to learn. I've been teaching myself to read map and compass and navigate using only those. Of course, GPS makes that easier, but I feel like learning the basics is still very important since you never know when electronics will fail.

I actually found this site by viewing some Youtube videos on hiking with GPS. I thought they were some good videos and peaked my interest in checking this site out. I'm glad I found the place and it seems to have information on many things I'm interested in.

I guess that's about it.

oldsarge

Welcome to the OBC family Bojib. Your right one about learning the basics of land navigation. I too enjoy the "navigational arts", Seem like there's always so much more to learn, especially when it come to older navigational techniques. I just wish I had more time to practice it all myself.

jason

fear no beer
Greetings and salutations. Glad to have you aboard. Feel free to jump right in.

candycane

Welcome Bojib! What a great introduction! I'm relatively new here as well, but I'll tell you there are some really wonderful, knowledgeable people here who know what they are talking about and are happy to share their passions with new comers who wish to learn!