Hunter/safety course

Campergal

My 10 year old daughter wants to become a hunter. I have no idea why because I am not a hunter. I just couldn't kill anything. Not sure if she could either, but she expresses her interest to me all the time.

I do believe in Vermont you have to go through a hunter/safety course first. Is it the same in every state? At what age can they start doing this?

jason

fear no beer
I would start with reading up on the laws and other information on the state. You should be able to find out a lot of that information at their Wildlife website at: Vermont Fish & Wildlife

That being said, just from what I've been reading up on about getting started hunting, I would look for a .22 rifle. Maybe even start her with a BB Gun. Just so she can get used to handling and shooting a rifle. Then bump up to a .22 and go after some smaller game.

Do you have any friends or family that hunt? Maybe she could go out with them to see if she likes it. You could also try your local gun range, they can get you in touch with some hunting clubs, and someone to teach her how to shoot.

calanta

BB Gun indeed. I am not a hunter unless I would have to, and I have in the past but never as a sport (against that). Each state from what I remember is different, I know when I was in WV depending on who you asked, you always got different answers.

greengrass

In my area it's not a requirement that you go through a hunter safety course but it's recommended. Our local Recreation department actually offers one several times throughout the year. And the fee is very minimal. Maybe check with your Parks and Rec for more information.