I don't understand...

claire

...why my boyfriend likes to hunt so much! He doesn't do it for the food, but rather for the fun. For me, I don't see any appeal in killing helpless animals. Can someone explain it for me?

Christie

I have a couple of hunters in my family. While I'm not an enthusiast, as long as they eat what they kill I don't have an issue with it. It's proabably an adrenaline rush to sit and wait and then finally see what you're looking for.

Lovefall

I think it's wrong to hunt for the fun. It's just my opinion though. I think that hunting for food is fine but to kill something for the fun? Wrong. I know it's a sport, just not something I would ever do.

smore

What does he do with the animal once he kills it? Does he have it processed at all for the food? If not, I think that is cruel. I am not a fan of hunters as it is, but some use what they hunt to feed their family.

2coastcamper

...why my boyfriend likes to hunt so much! He doesn't do it for the food, but rather for the fun. For me, I don't see any appeal in killing helpless animals. Can someone explain it for me?
I find it hard to believe he just shoots and walks. I'm sure he at least takes the carcass and has trophies made of the best kills? When he does that, oftentimes the meat is also taken and processed and sold.

You should find out what he does with the animals he kills, and report to us ... I think we're curious.

Wild Bill

I do not like people that hunt just for sport, but I do think I understand why. Its usually a mental issue of some sort, perhaps an inferiority complex where they feel powerless and hunting makes them feel strong.

Of course I could be totally wrong... I'm no doctor...

Foxyloxy

I agree with Wild Bill - anyone who hunts for fun and wastes the meat is trying to prove and/or compensate for something. I think hunting is fine as long as you either use the meat yourself or let someone else have it, but if it gets wasted then that is just pointless.

Reese

That's terrible! I understand killing for the meat, but for fun...that's just cruel! I personally couldn't ever kill anything, but I don't mind eating someone else's dirty work. =)

BenWaller

Killing should always be well-considered but too often it is not. For example, you hunting that hamburger (carcass patty) at Carl Jr's is thoughtless; it comes in a bag, antlerless, camoflaged amid the sauce, hidden in the bun. It's not even meat, it's just super-sized; deathless, sanitary. Of course you cannot be held responsible for the murder. Yeah, and a medium chocolate shake, please. Thanks.

I think the criticism of hunting by more "civilized" meat-eaters is hypocrisy, pure and simple. Obviously this observation need not apply to you vegans.

As for the "fun" aspect of hunting, yeah, there is some. It's all about connecting to deep, genetic patterns developed (evolved) over millenia by our forebears. Fun. Feels good. Rewarding. NBD. Hunting and killing is what we do and what every other predator that has co-habited these Gardens of Eden has been doing for millions of years. Why? Because killing delays death.

In the case of human beings here in the West, the conclusion of the successful hunt imparts a sense of fulfillment to the hunter. Lizard brain, triune theory. And, of course obliges him to care for the carcass (left side, different brain, different theory); gut it, cool it, butcher it, wrap the parts, label the packages, provide for proper storage. Do the work.

Celebrate eating it.

Which is very unlike the Carl Jr's drive-up experience, isn't it? You want extra fries with that?

Could you repeat that please, I couldn't hear you.

Ben

looey

Sorry I do not like it when people just hunt to hunt and nothing else. Either eat what you kill or start using targets instead of animals otherwise its just a waste, right?

Traveler

So any update on your boyfriend claire? Everyone seems to be enthusiastic to know what your boyfriend does with his hunt.

I with with everyone that hunting for the sake of fun is bad although hunting itself is fun.

claire

He usually leaves the animals behind. :( I asked him about it. I am interested in learning a bit so that I can be self sufficient and have the meat, but I don't like his approach. :/

Is it even legal to leave the carcasses?

Shanna

I hunt occasionally with my husband. We eat the meat because my family likes venison. But I do have friends who don't eat the deer they kill. They usually just give it away to someone who likes it. I would hate to see it wasted.

2coastcamper

Horrible ... I don't know what to say.
Now, I've had a chance to think about this:

There's another possibility. In certain areas of the country, hunting deer is crucial for population control. Over population of deer in areas where their territory is close to major roadways needs "thinning out" hunting. Also, in areas where the deer are breeding faster than the food supply can grow need this kind of hunting. In the first example, the deer can wander onto highways and cause major traffic accidents (I once passed a deer on a freeway going 70 MPH, the speed limit, and if I had struck a deer going that fast, I might not have made it). Secondly, in the food case, if the deer breed faster than the food, they will ALL starve and die.

So, there's a chance that he's doing hunting to prevent over population. I've flipped through TV hunting shows where hunters are looking for a specific type of deer to prevent over breeding. It's usually older males, to keep them from "spreading their seed" to several female deer. If the OP's boyfriend is doing that specific type of hunting, I can (somewhat) understand just leaving the carcass.

I'd still like to see something be done with the meat ... but I guess I'd understand.

claire

See, I agree with you all-- I don't like it and I'm glad that I'm not the only one who has a problem with it. I'm learning to hunt so that I can save the venison, at least that way there won't be waste. :(

dhoyle

A lot of it depends on what you are hunting, there two critters that will shoot and leave. They are the jackrabbit and the ground squirrel. As a boy raised on a dirt farm, and seeing the damage these two varmints can do to crop has sort of set me in my ways. Everything else I harvest is consumed.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I've been hunting for a very long time. I'm very good at it and have killed thousands of animals. On some occasions I have shot pests. A few times I killed to protect myself or one of my animals. Mostly I have killed animals for the meat, never for the skins although I have tanned a number of them.

Hunting is fun. Killing is necessary. If not, I don't do it.

It is difficult for me to accept the existence of a human who kills for the pleasure of terminating the existence of a living being. Oh, I know they exist. As I said, I just don't accept it. This behaviour has only two possible solutions. The first is a severe attitude adjustment.

Geoman

Geoman

Claire,
People who have never hunted will probably never understand but for those of you who haven't one thing is very clear. We (humans) are the supreme animal on this earth. We are the only animal that has the luxury of a mind (means we can think) Therefore it is our obligation to take care of (that means "Keep in Balance") all other animals on this earth. The very most effective method of doing this is to "Hunt" and "Harvest" them responsibly. Doing so keeps them healthy and in balance with each other. There "is" great satifaction in that. That means of course, having respect for all the animals you harvest and making the best use of them. "Waste Not, Want Not" Oh yes, we could not do our part and they would of course balance themselves by predation, disease, etc. Of course you realize, it would not be pretty! Hunting is by far the best choice "any expert" will agree. I can show you example after example of the alternative. Now, as far as the fun part goes: The hunt, the challange, the developed skills "is" the fun part, the "taking" is the secondary responsibility but knowing you did your part to keep all the other animals healthy and in balance for all future generations to enjoy while in this life on earth, now that's the satisfaction!