I don't understand...

JDSport

I hunt, but would never leave the animal after. I only hunt what I or family will eat. I don't believe in hunting just to hunt. IF I 'just want to hunt' than I will watch the animals not kill them.

dinosaur

troublemaker
...why my boyfriend likes to hunt so much! He doesn't do it for the food, but rather for the fun. For me, I don't see any appeal in killing helpless animals. Can someone explain it for me?
Maybe his folks didn't hug him enough when he was a kid.

jacob321

I can not see why someone would kill a defenseless animal for fun. Even killing it and making a trophy of it, whats the point. If you kill mainly and solely for the meat of the animal i understand but not to make a decoration in your home.

Last edited:

ChadTower

Now, I've had a chance to think about this:

There's another possibility. In certain areas of the country, hunting deer is crucial for population control. Over population of deer in areas where their territory is close to major roadways needs "thinning out" hunting.

Old thread, I know, but I just came across it. Keep in mind I am not antihunting at all.

I don't buy overpopulation alone as a reason to hunt. It's a rationalization. There would not be an overpopulation if we didn't keep shrinking available land and food sources. If we weren't driving away natural predators, and if they had the land they used to have, the population would control itself just like it did before we built all those condos and strip malls. Animals don't cause overpopulation - we do. The number one predator of any animal is a bulldozer.

Hunting as sport with proper respect for and use of the kill, sure. Hunting and wasting the animal strictly because someone built a parking lot over its habitat? Very uncool.

Stevealb

Steve Albers
I have hunted for over 50 years and could not leave an animal just lay after having shot it. If I'm not going to use the meat, I don't shoot. I hunt approximately 50 days per year, mostly for deer and turkey anymore. Used to hunt a lot of upland game and waterfowl, at that time I was probably hunting closer to 100 days per year. I have always made every effort possible to retrieve anything I've shot, yes I have lost game but not often. We owe it to the animals we hunt to do whatever possible to recover and utilize them if successful. It is not legal to just shoot game animals and leave them lay, anyone who does is not a hunter but rather a poacher. Taking game illegally, leaving it lay, shooting from roads, all constitute poaching. I refuse to associate myself with any of these people and would have no trouble turning them in to the authorities to be dealt with justly. They give legitimate hunters a bad name;
Steve Albers
NRA, NAHC, Hunter Ed Instructor

twodogs

steven randall
Im a history nut and the kinda of hunting this guy is doing reminds me of the storys I have read about in the late 1800 hundreds, out west on the great plains when the buffalo were hunted almost to extinction. There were Millions of them when Lewis and Clark went West in 1804 by 1900 there were something like less then 1000 . At First they were hunted for the hides , then it was just for sport . The US government would organized hunting partys Just to shoot them , people rode on the roofs of trains and would shoot them down and left them laying. Some might cut the tonges out (tonge was a delicacy) . From what I have read there was two reasons this was done , to control the Indians (kill off there food supply) and open the land up for grazing cattle and settlement .Kind of sad aint it.

Last edited:

RobertR

re:claire

Hi claire,
Well, If your boyfriend have a mind and ready to understand everyone feeling then I can try it otherwise my writing will be not worthless. Give me your boyfriend contact details.
All the best!
RobertR

Sophia

That is something I just can't do - hunt animals! When you grow up hearing Bambi stories, and loving Bambi, how can you stand the sight of a dead deer?

jacob321

You should talk to your boyfriend about this and show him all the threads under your posts..hopefully he'll understand.

dhoyle

That is something I just can't do - hunt animals! When you grow up hearing Bambi stories, and loving Bambi, how can you stand the sight of a dead deer?
Don't worry about Bambi, he passed away years ago from lack of air in the film vaults. That piece of c--p has about much with nature as trying to fly by flapping your arms. :tinysmile_cry_t3: