Ice in bait bucket

Laffeet

Live bait shrimp dies so fast on hot days we used to end up throwing away as much as we used. The guy at the bait shop showed me a good tip. I freeze a bottle of water and set it right in the bait bucket or live well. It keeps the bait alive longer and allows us to fish longer. Please share any live bait tips you have, we're always looking for improvements.

Hikenhunter

Welcome to OBC. The people here look forward to speaking with you. Minnows last much longer if you use a small battery powered air pump and an airstone to keep oxygen levels up.We always kept the minnow bucket as cool as possible too but I never tried the bottle of ice trick. Thanks for the tip.

Cappy

We usually keep the worm box or zip loc in the ice chest on top. Ice helps lots in ya minnow bucket but ya gotta change the water, too. urea builds up and kills them if you don't. we dip water out and replace with bayou water a few times. We quit using the little Styrofoam buckets for shiners and use a Styrofoam ice chest. the larger volume helps keep them stable.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

Welcome aboard. You're looking fine today. Glad to see you're chatting with us.

Regarding live bait, I've never used shrimp...but I've used minnows...kept them aereated
with 'oxygen' tablets (don't see them anymore). Also, in my 14' aluminum Arkansas Traveler john boat was a live bait well, which circulated the water in the well through the boat's movement. All worked well.

Worms...never thought about 'preserving' them...they never lasted long enough. :tinysmile_hmm_t: Used to carry them in a metal pipe tobacco can in my back pocket years ago. Have to buy them now (per DEC law)...so keep them in the coffee cup container they came in. Any unused would be refrigerated.