im going to backpack across america

katharina

i would like everyone to share ur tips that could help me
This sounds so great! I've had an interest ever since I read a book about it years ago... if my memory is working it was called Walk Across America and it was by... Jenkins? Maybe Peter Jenkins, yes that sounds right.

In any case, best of luck with this exciting plan! I guess my best tip would be to pace yourself so that you can enjoy everything between starting and ending points and so that it doesn't get stale.

jason

fear no beer
Wow, I wouldn't know what to start. Well, actually I would start with good footwear and good socks. I personally like thicker socks, but I have wide feet, so I also need to go up a boot size sometimes. Taking care of your feet would be the number one thing.

katharina

Wow, I wouldn't know what to start. Well, actually I would start with good footwear and good socks.
That would definitely be the most important thing... really *really* good footwear 'cause who wants to carry extra? Even before that, I'd think that before taking on such a physically demanding project, you'll want to make sure with your doctor that you're up to the challenge.

calanta

Are you going to plan any route before you leave or are you going to wing it? There are tons of places you could hit, but it depends how you route your trip too. I know one friend of mine ended up busing all the way across the US in tons of places, he said he had a blast doing so.

backpacking america

yea google the American Discovery Trail. Im taking it to Indiana than making my own way south to TN. From there i will take the Appalachian Trail north to North Jersey. Then hike south in the pinelands to Hammonton, NJ where im from. What r some good brand to get for boots? i was going to get a military style boot by guide gear