IT'S IN YOUR HEAD...

Northern Dancer

4132 THEY SAY IT'S IN YOUR HEAD. Dunno, I think everything is in our head, or at least a lot of it.

What am I talking about anyway?

The reality is that we spend a chunk of time learning skills and honing our expertise in managing bushcraft - the art of living in the bush. But there are two other skills that are required for modern man, [person, yadda, yadda, yadda.] These skills are rarely mentioned or talked about.

The skill of keeping our bodies clean and our minds healthy.

I think that is why I find "survivour" like shows disturbing and scary. You get this giant of a guy leaning over a campfire with a bowie knife in hand saying, "Hi, use guys and welcome to run amock survivor and I is gonna show ya how to skin a chicken." I guess I'm being a little melodramatic, but you get the picture.

The reality is I've learned that I need an attitude and a disposition that enables me to fully enjoy the outdoors even when I'm alone. I've learned and continue to practice methods that help me with the monkey conversations in my head and the fears that creep into my being. I keep myself clean and practice hygiene. I'm sorry, but after a while looking at a half-human gorilla buddy just turns me right off. Personally, I prefer to be clean-shaven and keep my teeth and other parts of the anatomy clean. I'm now conscious of the sun's rays and know what it can do to the skin.

Well what do you think, I'm I being too namby pamby? Will I be expelled? Is there life after the cast iron pot forms a hole?

Roybrew

Ya man. I skin what ever I catch crawling around camp, and it goes into the pot. Keeps the skeeters and bugs away if you don't bath for at least 5 days or so. The longer the better.

Ha. I don't think so. I don't like my body feeling like a breeding ground for little critters. Shaving?? Well I don't shave except once a week anyhow so I'm good to go for Hmm maybe 2 weeks. The old moostash starts to tickle my nose if I let it go to long also. I've got a pretty good rug of hair on my head, so a good washing is a must after a couple of days. That can be a hassle when it's cold weather.

Yes I agree with you ND. I like to be comfortable and that involves good hygiene. Like my personal controlled environment. I brush my teeth every morning and night.

Roy