Kayak Alternative for the Dog Owner

Newanderthal

If you're like me and love taking your dog on adventures, you know that kayaks are not dog compatible, unless you have one that's willing to swim along beside you.

I found an alternative. I checked one of these out a couple weeks ago in Charlotte. Nice little boat. Perfect for solo trips with a dog.

Discovery 119 | Old Town

Newanderthal

My girlfriend took the dog for a walk on the trails near the lake and ran into a friend who was about to take her kayak out. While they talked, my spoiled dog calmly climbed into the seat of the kayak and waited patiently for someone to paddle him around.
Worthless beast.

ppine

Forester
Any tandem canoe can be paddled solo. If it is symmetrical, turn it around and paddle from the front seat. Trim the boat properly in wind. A kayak paddle is good to have along. I love to bring dogs on boat trips.

The only kayaks that can handle a dog or a coleman stove are the doubles with a center hatch, sometimes known as triples.

Stargazer

I took my dog in a double kayak once. It was not a good experience. First of all, it was my first time in a kayak and I had trouble with the tracking. Secondly, my dog did not like being confined to such a small area, which probably added to the tracking problem.

Laffeet

Our dog is very picky about what kind of boat she will board. She remembers getting flipped in a canoe early in life. Now she'll get in the flat bottomed john boat but will have nothing to do with kayaks.

Hikenhunter

:tinysmile_fatgrin_t Cappy, I think that motor you are powering your boat with might be a little heavy for mounting on a kayak. What do ya think?:tinysmile_hmm_t: Nice video, relaxing music. Thanks for sharing.

ppine

Forester
This thread reminds me of the old film "Nanook of the North." The old guy paddles up to an iceflow in a large sealskin kayak with a cockpit cover. He pulls back the cover and out comes his wife and three kids. Then one by one out comes a whole dog team. Dogs can be trained to ride below decks in a kayak or in the cockpit hatch.

Why not give them some fresh air and paddle a canoe instead?

Last edited:

Campfire Girl

My dogs, a poodle and a chow/shepherd mix, both love the water. The would both rather swim along side the boat than ride in it.

Cappy

Yo Hikin':tinysmile_fatgrin_t Last time I looked I coulda swore da name of this here post was kayak alternatives. Well das my alternative. My aluminum boat is 6 ft wide on bottom and can hold a queen sized aerobed:tinysmile_tongue_t: Das my alternative to brigin my mut in a tippy yak.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t Not to mention da wife.

JimW67

I have taken my little runt of a dog in a kayak, canoe and motor boats. The problem that we repeatedly run into is she likes to jump out and it sometimes is a challenge to get her back in. So our challenge becomes, how to tie her up so she can't jump out!

ppine

Forester
Jim,
Maybe you can train your dog to stay in the boat on land. Tying up a dog in a boat is dangerous if the boat ever capsizes. Feed her in the boat. Put her favorite stuff in there. Tell her to stay. Praise her when she does. Then when the boat is in the water she won't be afraid of it.

Cappy

When ya doggie loves the boat as much as ours do and love to fish, and get all excited woofing hello at passing boaters they sometimes fall in no matter how well trained. That's why we do not own collers for our dog we own halters with convenient handles on the back. It happens very rarely and when it does the dog feels bad about it and looks kinda imbarrased but the halters sure make fishing them out of the bayou a lot easier,

ppine

Forester
Cappy,
I have used dog lifejackets for years, especially on rafting trips. The good ones always have a handy strap on the back for retrieving dogs overboard. I have used a boat hook on a sail boat. Corgis are not the greatest swimmers, but with a lifejacket you can't get them out of the water.

Hirsch

I have the Old Town Pack and the Old Town Guide 199. I am sure either would be fine with a dog under 40 lbs.

That said I have two female friends who have dogs in the 20-25 lbs range that ride fine on 2-3 day trips in kayaks.