Kayak Fishing

Woodland

I'm thinking of taking a kayak with us when we camp this summer. I'd like to try fishing in a kayak. Has anyone here done any kayak fishing?

troutstalker

Yes I do plenty of fishing from my yak.My set-up consists of a fishfinder,rod holders,anchor trolley system,drift anchor and a homemade visi-pole as I often fish around motor boats. When I wilderness paddle I don't bring all that gear. I secure a 4 piece pack rod in the yak with Velcro. For lures I bring just a small box of 1/16 and 1/8 ounce Little Cleo spoons. If this info doesn't help,you can join for free a fishing club that I belong to. These guys can help you with set-up of gear or I will be happy to help.The club is fishgator.com Good luck!

ppine

Forester
I have been fishing out of canoes for decades. It is quiet and stealthy. It is very helpful to paddle with a partner especially in fast current and larger fish. It is hard to handle a rod and paddle at the time.

Hirsch

I have had 3 fishing kayaks and love them. Whether to pick a Sit Inside Kayak or a Sit on Top is largely a personal choice though popularity of that choice varies with region. For Pure fishing I like Sit On Top, but combined fishing and camping a Sit Inside. Most of my companions are dedicated sit on top for both purposes.

troutstalker

I am on my third kayak! My second kayak was a 2010 Wilderness Systems Pungo 140. It was great for fishing in big water but the draw back is that it weighed 59 pounds. I love fishing and camping in the backcountry ponds which require numerous portages. When I realized my main love,I traded this yak for a 36 pound Wilderness Systems Chesapeake yak. I guess I'm trying to say is figure out what yak applies to your needs. A sit on top is great for fishing but 70 pounds is too heavy. The best fishing yaks that I feel are the Hobie and Ultimate Native as you can peddle instead of paddle. If want to see something amazing,google Jim Sammons and watch his you-tube videos.
He fishes for marlin,tarpon and other large trophy fish from a sit on top!

jason

fear no beer
I will agree the sit on tops are heavy. I have one place I can put it at night but it is about 200 feet downhill. That is not too bad until you have to carry uphill after fishing. But I do enjoy getting in and out on the flats easily.

The Hobie looks interesting. I did think about that, but I was worried about how it would be on the oyster bars.

Zed

I hunt and fish out of a kayak all the time. My favorite is a 14 foot sit in (old Town Predator). Have also loaded it with gear for over night camping trips on the river. Nothing better! Sit ins give you a lot more storage room. Sit on tops are better for salt water because you don't have to worry about waves filling them up. Don't stress out on getting a "fishing" kayak. Any 10 footer will do for creeks, most rivers and most lakes.

troutstalker

Nothing better!

Mine is better as I can portage with my backpack and kayak on my shoulders. I use mine to pond hop for brook trout to fishing for salmon on Lake Ontario! Yours is too heavy to carry with gear for more than mile portages. TIGHT LINES!

Lorax

I have been fishing out of canoes for decades. It is quiet and stealthy. It is very helpful to paddle with a partner especially in fast current and larger fish. It is hard to handle a rod and paddle at the time.

I've done it for decades also. I'm not sure exactly why "Kayak Fishing" gets it's own special designation these days. You don't say "I'm going canoe fishing". Just a random thought.......

But anyway.....Here's how I do it while on multiday trips......
I have a piece of bungee cord about 8 inches long on a clip. It is attached to my deck rigging right in front of me. To this bungee cord, I have attached about 30 ft of flyfishing floating line with a 6 ft leader on it. I have a spinner or better yet, floating Rapala type minnow on it.

Then I paddle a little slower until the bungee cord starts hopping and handline them in. It doesn't get in the way and is very easy to manage due to using the flyline.

Zed

Mine is better as I can portage with my backpack and kayak on my shoulders. I use mine to pond hop for brook trout to fishing for salmon on Lake Ontario! Yours is too heavy to carry with gear for more than mile portages. TIGHT LINES!

All in what you do I guess. I'm on the river with mine hunting and fishing. No need to portage and when I camp out of it the extra room is nice

troutstalker

I've done it for decades also. I'm not sure exactly why "Kayak Fishing" gets it's own special designation these days. You don't say "I'm going canoe fishing". Just a random thought.......

But anyway.....Here's how I do it while on multiday trips......
I have a piece of bungee cord about 8 inches long on a clip. It is attached to my deck rigging right in front of me. To this bungee cord, I have attached about 30 ft of flyfishing floating line with a 6 ft leader on it. I have a spinner or better yet, floating Rapala type minnow on it.

Then I paddle a little slower until the bungee cord starts hopping and handline them in. It doesn't get in the way and is very easy to manage due to using the flyline.
Google Jim Sammons and watch his you tube videos and you will see kayak fishing. He catches 300 pound tuna,marlin,tarpon,salmon and other species. Try this in a tippy canoe! TIGHT LINES!