Keep an eye on your kids!!!

carmen

Fake or real that is still something scary that parents should worry about. We always hear how kids are getting injured on trails or out in the woods not prepared for nature. It can attack in many forms, this is just one example.

ChadTower

Heh. People always focus on the wrong things. Eagles don't care about you. Swans, on the other hand, are aggressive jerks that will go after your kid if they toddle off in the wrong direction. So are turkeys. We have so many turkeys here I used to have to shoo them from our yard before the kids went out.

Lorax

Even if it's fake, there a lot of great videos out there of Goldens in the wild plucking mtn goats off of cliffs and they have been known to swoop down and kill deer.

jason

fear no beer
Heh. People always focus on the wrong things. Eagles don't care about you. Swans, on the other hand, are aggressive jerks that will go after your kid if they toddle off in the wrong direction. So are turkeys. We have so many turkeys here I used to have to shoo them from our yard before the kids went out.

I agree on the swans. Evil little buggers. I've even run across a person or two who uses them for home defense. Or so they say. But they are still evil.

*Please note for the PC crowd I do not mean evil as in good or evil, or the devil or mean to call nature bad. But evil sounds much better then mean.*

ponderosa

And geese. They can be aggressive little buggers.

Heck, a grouse in yellowstone once chased my husband and me down a trail for about half a mile. It would flap up a couple feet in the air like they do, and then bomb my husband's ankles. He was wearing short pants and short socks and took some pretty good hits. It was pretty much leaving me alone, but I almost hurt myself laughing. (I think it must have been trying to chase us away from a nest).

Theo

eyebp's mentor
I agree on the swans. Evil little buggers. I've even run across a person or two who uses them for home defense. Or so they say. But they are still evil.

*Please note for the PC crowd I do not mean evil as in good or evil, or the devil or mean to call nature bad. But evil sounds much better then mean.*
No. They are pretty much evil incarnate. Nothing mean about them.

woodsman

Fake or not, I have seen too many parents being careless with their kids. One example that comes to mind, is letting them go off the trail and wonder off on their own in Bear country. When I told them to be careful, the response was: "Bears are scared of people.". What else is there to say to somebody so ignorant?

Pathfinder1

ponderosa;
And geese. They can be aggressive little buggers.

Heck, a grouse in yellowstone once chased my husband and me down a trail for about half a mile. It would flap up a couple feet in the air like they do, and then bomb my husband's ankles. He was wearing short pants and short socks and took some pretty good hits. It was pretty much leaving me alone, but I almost hurt myself laughing. (I think it must have been trying to chase us away from a nest.

Hi...

Quite true about geese.

I once inspected a home for a State Trooper. The home had three geese outside, who quickly made a bee-line for us as soon as we showed up. The first thing the Trooper did was to pick up a board lying on the ground to defend himself with...!! (Their 'little' nibbles can be quite painful).

Although they obviously didn't want us on 'their' property, it did not become necessary to start beating on them.

It was an interesting experience, though.

WillaMarie

I have also heard about how bad Turkeys can be. I saw something on TV the other day about a Turkey going after someone. From what I hear they have some pretty strong beaks and can mess you up. :tinysmile_hmm_t2:

Penelope

Large birds are scary. A falcon circles our yard regularly. I have a Chihuahua and I always fear that it will grab my dog and fly away.

One time we saw a falcon eating a rather large snake in our yard. It is as big as a toddler is and its talons are enormous.

The snake attempted to frighten the bird by rising up and lunging forward. The bird just used its talons to stomp on the snake. When all was said and done, the snake became dinner.

Last edited:

ChadTower

I have also heard about how bad Turkeys can be. I saw something on TV the other day about a Turkey going after someone. From what I hear they have some pretty strong beaks and can mess you up. :tinysmile_hmm_t2:

"Mess you up" if you stand there and prance around letting it attack you. An adult should be able to defend themself against a turkey. Yeah, you'll get pecked a couple of times while trying not to hurt the thing, but if you decide to end the attack you can do so without real fear. Now, a kid, you get one pissed off Tom after them and the kid is in trouble. I would call the actual danger of a turkey attack about the same as a smallish dog. They are bigger and can reach further but don't have the teeth the dog has.

Same thing goes for swans but swans are much bigger and meaner so they can mess up a bigger kid or a small woman.

One of my favorite places locally to paddle is a shallow reservoir that is swan city. In the fall they all gather there before migrating. It's common to be out there with 75 swans wandering around and they are used to canoes/kayaks. Gotta pay attention or end up with a pair of swans hissing in your face.