Keeping good company

LittleLady

Who do you prefer to take hiking with you, or are you more a loner? I can't stand taking a talker. There's nothing more irritating to me than hiking through the woods with someone who won't shut it. :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

campfire

I'm a loner. I actually try to not bring company, unless I know how they are while hiking. It's more a mental thing for me, not a social outing.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I can't have someone with me that talks too much. They frighten the animals away. Since I count on those animals to make my dinner, I would be taking someone who is taking food out of my mouth. That won't do. If you talk too much, you go in the swamp.

Judy Ann

My father made us practice silent walks through the forest; Mom taught us about the birds, scat and every sound we heard. It is fun to stand watching a deer watching you for several minutes until you or they get bored. All is good if everyone is having fun.

When I get scared and the hair on my arms stand up straight, I sing as loud as I can...I can't carry a tune and both man and beast will withdraw from the noise. Those are the moments that I wish there was another set of eyes who could pinpoint the reason for the unnatural silence.

I guess the bottom line here is that I would prefer to make sure that others enjoy something that is deeply meaningful to me. If they are nervous and want to chat, I'll chat. If they want to focus on bird songs, bees or God then I am quite content for the silence. Like nature, people are unpredictable, but friends understand those moments and rise to the occasion. And...sometimes we all just need a brief escape from our ordinary lives from/ or with our husbands, wives, children and responsibilities.

Dinosaur, the swamp was my home for many a hunting season. Some of my fondest memories come from those challenges. Deer hunting starts August 15 in SC and lasts until January 1st. Long season. Next time I hunt, the spare room over the garage will look over several acres and the mosquitos won't reach me there.

oldsarge

I go out alone too. If someone come along, I don't mind a little talking now and then. Like Dinosaur said if it interferes with a specific task I'm trying to accomplish, then I'd just go alone. Save the talking for the camp fire later on.

Camoguy

I would prefer to go alone but I occasionally take my wife or some friends. I hate someone who talks all of the time too. You go into the woods to see nature and have peace and quiet, you sure don't want someone who likes to listen to themselves.

woodsman

Depends on what I'm actually doing, but when I'm out exploring I prefer to be alone. I cover more ground, I can go wherever I want, I don't have to worry about somebody else and if I do get hurt, it's because I messed up, not somebody else.

greentea

If I'm going with somebody than it will usually be a friend or a family. Thus eliminating the chance of being stuck with somebody who get's on my nerves for eight hours.

outwest

I was more of a loner when I started out since I was not married then (with kids to boot). Now it does not matter as long as its good company. The last thing you want is to bring someone that complains all of the time.

rockytibby

I dont mind talking, plus it depends on how long your hike is if its over several days I enjoy the conversation of others. I once went on a hike with a coworker and all she wanted to do was just shut up and get there. We may have said two words to each other all day. Never hiked with her again. I can walk and talk and still enjoy the scenery.

T

tentrus

I don't mind chatty people at all - it makes the hike go quicker (when it's a long one). If I need time to think then I go alone. A lot of times I take my kids and sometimes they even take friends.