Kids starter pole

dinosaur

troublemaker
I learned how to fish with a cane pole. Then again, my daughter learned to cast when she was four. I'd have to say that any light action rod and spin cast reel would be best. The closed face reels are easier to operate but the open face is easier to get the snags out and they're not so difficult that a child can't learn to release.

Take the kid into the back yard and lay out a hula hoop or anything else that approximates this shape for a target. Have them toss a lead weight into the circle. This will teach them touch. When they get pretty good at it, take them fishing.

Cappy

Kids really should start out with the old cane pole and float. that teaches lots of stuff and is a recommended first step to casting. Most any tom dick or walmart will have beginner sets. The zebco 202 set with pole line and a practice plug like dino discribed has been used for several generations now.

derangedboar

Thanks. I saw some 3 piece bamboo poles for around $10 on Amazon. Think they would be good? Also a local sports store has little 2 foot poles with open reels for $15. They guy pulled the tip to the reel and it didn't break. How would those be? I'm a bit worried about those beginner sets at walmart that are the cartoons. Would they hold up? I was thinking they would be extremely cheap and break easily.

derangedboar

Ok, thank you. I think I will buy this bamboo pole. http://amzn.to/1La7hkG Its only 8.53$ and breaks down to three pieces and twelve foot long. Looks like it comes with everything needed for them to start.

Then when they practice casting on that I may get this for them. http://amzn.to/20MfHKx Its an open reel 5 foot length and comes with everything to start. Although this one is temping http://amzn.to/1La7CDT Looks the same but with a closed reel.

jason

fear no beer
I had an old bamboo pole as a kid. Loved that thing. I think I had an open reel too, but I remember the bamboo better. Loved that thing and wish I still had it. For less then 9 dollars I might just pick one up for me and the kids too.

My friend just picked up a pole with no reel from walmart for $5. I think it was around 5 foot long. Took it out and the paint was coming off by the end of the day. But he caught some small fish on it with no problems.

briansnat

Platnium Member
I'm going to disagree with the cane pole. Get the kid a smallish spinning outfit. A 5 1/2 ft Ugly Stick (Ultra light or light) should be something the kid can beat up and won't cost enough to make you cry if he breaks it or drops it off a bridge. Get a cheap Shimano or Diawa spinning reel to complete the outfit.

There is a learning curve to casting, but I taught my stepdaughter to cast at 5 and she actually became quite good at it in short order.