Klamath 85 Gear Review

Newanderthal

For Walkabout, I needed to carry a load and depend on a pack that could take some abuse. It's a big world out there and I had no idea what I'd be in for. For that, I checked out several 4500-5500 cubic inch packs and settled on the Klamath 85 by Jansport. The pack I selected was slate gray and green. I opted for this color scheme over the bright blue in case I ever needed to hide the pack and explore an area with the peace of mind that my stuff would not be stolen.

The Basics: The pack has a main compartment roughly the size of a medium duffle bag. The lid expands to increase the storage capacity and allow for enough gear to be hauled to outfit one for a weeklong trip and more. There are two mesh bottle holders, one on each side that are large enough to hold 2 one liter bottles on each side. Above those mesh pockets are the side zipper pockets. Each is large enough to hold a 20 oz. drink bottle with room for extra junk like flashlights, bug spray, etc. The lid of the pack has a front-loading pocket and the rear of the pack has on large pocket that extends the full height of the pack and is accessible through a long, vertical zipper. This pocket holds almost as much as my last daypack. Inside are a few pockets for organization. Hiking poles can strap to the pack and the main compartment is top loading and also features a zipper on the left side at the bottom of the pack for conveniently accessing the sleeping bag. The straps are well padded and fully adjustable. The pack weighs 4.5 lbs.

The Load: When fully loaded for my Walkabout, the pack's total weight was 55 lbs. (I seriously overpacked). I had enough food for a week, several changes of clothes, notebooks, camera, knife, first aid kit, everything… and I didn't even have to extend the main compartment. I hefted the load onto my back and adjusted the straps. The shoulder straps tended to loosen a bit, but that problem was fixed with two small plastic clips designed for luggage straps. No one else mentioned this in the online reviews, so it may have been a defect with my particular pack. Apart from that, the pack held the weight securely and comfortably. There was no shifting, squeaking, leaning or other load problems. The pack was comfortable and stable. Even when hiking from sunup to well after midnight, there was no soreness in my back, shoulders, arms, chest or hips. This pack was worn like clothing for 62 days. If there was a problem with how it carried the load, I would have discovered it.

Function: With the most-used items in the lid compartment, I could reach those need-to-get items with ease. My jacket/rain poncho was strapped to the back and my sleeping pad was lashed to the bottom using the lower compression straps. The pack held everything securely, save for the water bottles. I found the mesh pockets to be a bit large for my bottles and they had a tendency to fall out on occasion. It wasn't a serious problem, but the pockets could have been a little deeper. My new bottles have a carabiner clip on top which I can fasten to the side compression straps and that will eliminate the problem.

Abuse: The Klamath 85 is made of some seriously tough nylon. It was dropped on the rough gravel of the railroad tracks, hauled up the concrete slope beneath countless overpasses and used as a seat more times than I can recall. It was snagged on thorn bushes and tree branches and bounced over boulders. When I would take a break, I'd simply drop it. At the end of the trip, apart from some minor stains, the pack looks unused. There are no tears, rips, frayed straps, etc. It doesn't even look broken in. If being dropped on jagged boulders while loaded with 55 lbs. of junk won't damage it, I'm not sure what would. It even survived the handling of a Greyhound baggage handler.

Only Complaint: The nylon is tough and resilient, but it's not water resistant. When the rain comes down, the pack gets wet. Water soaks right through and the interior will eventually get soaked. I should have invested in a pack cover of some kind, but overlooked that particular accessory. Perhaps some spray-on water proofer would work.

Overall: Aside from needing a rain cover and something to secure those shoulder straps, the pack is perfectly suited for any prolonged backpacking trip. Whether you're trekking across Europe, hitching across America or just spending a week or so in isolation in a remote valley, the Klamath 85 is up to the task and ready for whatever abuse you can throw at it and then some. It may be a bit large, but there are smaller models available.

northernbushape

The Jeepist
Great review! That looks like a pretty good pack. I like the way it is laid out too. I am a big fan of functional pockets for organization. Pretty impressive that you could use it that long under tough conditions and have no major issue with it. It speaks well for the design and quality of the pack.