Leaks in the pool liner

Snuggles

Several years ago, we sprung a leak in our inground pool liner. All the usual methods of finding said leak did not work. We finally hired a scuba diver to come and take a look. Sure enough, in lest than 30 minutes he was done, leak patched and all was well. It was not cheap however.

carmen

We almost bought a house years ago but we walked away from the deal since they refused to fix a similar issue with their pool. I heard it wasn't cheap even for a pool place to come out and take care of it, this is why we said to fix the pool and we would pay full asking price, they refused. How much did it run you?

Mudslide

I remember a few years back when I had a pool with a 3 inch puncture in the liner, and bought a patch that could be applied underwater. Dont remember it being expensive and was just like applying tape.

T

tentrus

Wow- that is impressive and something I would never have thought of doing. How did he find it? Why couldn't you just put a mask on and go look yourself?

Gunny Webb

Outdoor Member
!'ve fixed serveral pools, one in January. Yuck!
It's rather simple. Order patches and under water glue online. Take a small sweeze bottle and fill with food coloring and water. Get a mask and take a look first, look for obvious holes. I carried some shiny coins to lay close to the holes when I found one so I could easily see it again. Find all holes first before trying to patch. You surface and tell a person at the pool edge the size of hole.They cut the patch and apply glue and fold the patch double with the glue inside, but don't crease it. That way the diver doesn't get glue everywhere and he can easily know which side is the glue side. Patch one hole at a time and then take your bottle of food coloring dye and squeeze a little around the patch and see if it is sucked into a leak. If it drifts away you have no leak.
I've fixed a dozen holes in one pool before, left by careless use of a pool bruch. To check for a drain leak, turn the pump off and put dye around the drain hole and see if it sucks it in. Lights are bad about leaking and are hard to fix. They must be caulked or the light may need replaced if it's old and rusted out. Holes are easy to fix.