Leaving grill out all winter

SusieQ

I helped a friend "winterize" their campsite. I was surprised when they left their grill outside. I thought they would take it home or at least put it in the camper. He told me that he leaves it out every winter. Isn't that just crazy?

Cappy

We leave our grill out all year round and I don't think we crazy.:tinysmile_grin_t: I mean heck the big advantage of living in the sunny south is I Do some of my best grilling in the winter:tinysmile_tongue_t:

ponderosa

We leave ours out all winter (covered) because we use it all winter. I've grilled in sub freezing temps many times, but that's on the back porch. I don't know that I'd leave a grill out unused in a campsite all winter.

Hikenhunter

I use mine all year long as well.I cvover it when it is not being used. At a bare minimum, I would at least cover it if I were leaving it in a campsite or other area where it was not going to be used, simply to prolong the life of the grill.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
Mine stays outside all year... Its and old cheapy propane grill so I don't even cover it. It's gone through three burners in ten years, and I'm probably going to replace it in the spring.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I leave mine out all Winter. It's been out for the last fifteen years. Of course it's made out of cast iron, weighs over 200 pounds and has a cooking surface big enough to roast a hog.

ppine

Forester
That is why they have lids.
It stays out so it is available to cook on all year.

Last edited:

SusieQ

We get a ton of snow! We leave ours on the back deck at home. He was leaving his right in the element. Obviously they aren't using it all winter because they cannot camp. It wasn't a great big cast iron one either. Maybe I am crazy!

cabinfever

Ours stays out on the back deck all winter and being in New England means I get a lot of snow and ice. We do cover it, though. With us, it's the salt water that makes things deteriorate too fast, but there just isn't room inside anywhere for the grill.

ChadTower

We get a ton of snow! We leave ours on the back deck at home. He was leaving his right in the element. Obviously they aren't using it all winter because they cannot camp. It wasn't a great big cast iron one either. Maybe I am crazy!

Unless it's a big huge fancy $1000 grill the snow won't do enough damage to matter. We get tons of snow here too and mine is out all year round whether I'm using it or not. It's just a steel box and a hose, really.

AK Hunter

Most of the newer types of gas grills are made of stainless steel & don't rust away like the old cheap ones do. The only thing that sometimes happens is getting spider webs down in the gas tubes on the burners, when you try to light it in the spring flames will shoot out from behind the control panel.

briansnat

Platnium Member
I've always left my grills out all winter. No cover either. If it isn't covered with snow I use it all winter long, though I'm not digging it out after a blizzard. If that happens it sits until the snow melts.

Greatoutdoors

Our grill stays out all winter long because we use it year round. Even if we got snow we would need it out, because if the power goes out it is our only way to cook!

stealth

We always keep ours outside on the back deck, but we use it on a regular basis no matter the time of year. However, we don't get much snow, so I'm not sure how that effects it. It's not crazy expensive, so it's not something I worry about too much honestly.

Marlowe

It doesn't get cold here so we use our grill all winter. Seems like I'm buying a new one every year or two regardless. We're near enough to the salt water that everything rusts out sooner or later. I usually pull it under the back porch roof to keep it out of the rain, but come to think of it that doesn't make much sense either.

SusieQ

We grill all winter too but he isn't going to use his. He cannot camp during the winter. I guess I am the crazy one. Just figured he should put it under cover.

Blueskyy

I don't think you are crazy Suzie, if I knew for a fact I wasn't going to be using it I would cover mine too. We use ours at least a few times a month even when it is really cold out.