'Lost world' discovered in remote Australia

jason

fear no beer
An expedition to a remote part of northern Australia has uncovered three new vertebrate species isolated for millions of years, with scientists Monday calling the area a "lost world".
Conrad Hoskin from James Cook University and a National Geographic film crew were dropped by helicopter onto the rugged Cape Melville mountain range on Cape York Peninsula earlier this year and were amazed at what they found.
It included a bizarre looking leaf-tail gecko, a gold-coloured skink—a type of lizard—and a brown-spotted, yellow boulder-dwelling frog, none of them ever seen before.
"The top of Cape Melville is a lost world. Finding these new species up there is the discovery of a lifetime—I'm still amazed and buzzing from it," said Hoskin, a tropical biologist from the Queensland-based university.
"Finding three new, obviously distinct vertebrates would be surprising enough in somewhere poorly explored like New Guinea, let alone in Australia, a country we think we've explored pretty well."

Read more 'Lost world' discovered in remote Australia

Snuggles

Jurassic Park comes to life. I saw that write up and it was very interesting. I'm sure they will find other specimens there as well. We'll watch the news.

Last edited:

Cappy

The more we discover the more we realize it aint all been discovered. That's what fuels the sasquatch hunters and such:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

CaverGroupie

We think we've been everywhere, and explored the earth pretty thoroughly, and then something like this reminds us that it really is a big planet. And remember, only about a fourth of the planet is land! We know less about that other 75% of the earth than we know about the moon!