Lots of money

dinosaur

troublemaker
The funny thing is that after spending all of the money that is necessary to keep one of these dumb animals alive for a winter that seems to have hung on well beyond where it should have gone away, I still like the horse.

I went out in the middle of the winter and busted my ass to make sure that this big dumb animal with a mane and a penchant for finding cockleburs was okay because I love her.

I sprayed her mane with WD40 and brushed her out, I fed her very carefully during the Winter and grained her so she wouldn't lose too much weight. I spent the money to make sure she had everything she needed and , in the heavy snow, I walked through to make sure she was okay. I brought her apples and carrots and I set out mineral blocks so she wouldn't have a problem with her salts. Now it's Spring and she loves me.

I will probably ride her all over the land and into town. I will ride this girl when I'm drunk, when I'm camping, when I'm just looking for an adventure and when I'm looking through the woods I haven't walked a horse through.

I'll hunt coyote off her back as well as coon, opossum, and groundhog. I'll take her fishing with me and she'll carry the fillets in a bag hooked on to my saddle. She'll never complain and she'll be happy when we reach the trail's end and I cut her loose to wander although she'll stick around and look at me with those big eyes waiting for me to tell her to run off until the next time I need her to do the same thing again.

And when she sees me walking toward her with a boselle and a lead rope, she'll bow her head and wait for me like the friend she is, praying for me to use her the way she and I were intended to be.

It costs me a lot of money and a great deal of caring but it's worth every penny. She's a good girl and she loves me.

ppine

Forester
Dino,
Good words. One of the unintended consequences of owning and caring for horses is that it makes people better humans. We have to learn the body language. We go outside ourselves. They are honest, so when things go wrong we have to work on ourselves.

All of that beauty, power and grace wrapped in an animal that is like a big rabbit or "a bomb waiting to go off." I miss them every day, but I am too busted up to go back to them.