Maglite Flashlights

Barney

I've been wondering lately is there any better flashlights than Maglite?

I've been using them for years and I can't state enough how good are they. From pocket edition flashlights to full size big ones. Numerous features, powerful focusing beam, long battery life...

Do you have a better suggestion?

Last edited:

Taggart

I wonder if Maglite makes crankable flashlights? That would be a good option.

I know that they're the industry standard for people who work on film sets, including the camera departments. I used to have a small one, and you could remove the sleeve around the bulb and go to "candle mode" which was kind of unique.

OutTheBackDoor

I love my Maglite. My wife got me a full size one several years ago for Christmas. I keep it in the car for emergencies. It has served me well in many instances and I don't think I ever want to be without one. I think mine is the next to the biggest but I'm thinking about buying one of the biggest to have around the house.

Barney

I wonder if Maglite makes crankable flashlights? That would be a good option.

I know that they're the industry standard for people who work on film sets, including the camera departments. I used to have a small one, and you could remove the sleeve around the bulb and go to "candle mode" which was kind of unique.
One you have is a Mini Maglite flashlight. Candle mode is a good way to light up a room, when needed. One that is also interesting is Maglite Solitaire flashlight that goes on your key chain and holds only one AAA battery. Very powerful for it's size and also very convenient.

jason

fear no beer
I used to love my Maglite. Well I still sort of due, because they make so many different sizes. I keep the large 4 D cell battery one in the car, have the small 2 AA cell battery ones around the house. Now, with that being said, when I started riding my back to work and having to ride it back at night in the dark, they did not cut it. So I did some searching and found this little flashlight, MTE SSC P7 C-Bin 900-Lumen 8-Mode LED Flashlight. Some people have told me they think it is brighter then some cars headlights. I think for its size, you cannot do any better. I think it even out performs the 4 cell maglite.

With that being said. There is one annoying thing, well actually two. The first one is pretty simple. Its the battery. It takes a 18650 battery. I managed to find one, (you guessed it) on amazon.com. I actually bought 4 batteries, all rechargeable and a recharger.

The second thing thing is it has 8 modes. Some may like that, but sometimes when adjusting it on the bike I hit the button and it switches modes on me.

Barney

I used to love my Maglite. Well I still sort of due, because they make so many different sizes. I keep the large 4 D cell battery one in the car, have the small 2 AA cell battery ones around the house. Now, with that being said, when I started riding my back to work and having to ride it back at night in the dark, they did not cut it. So I did some searching and found this little flashlight, MTE SSC P7 C-Bin 900-Lumen 8-Mode LED Flashlight. Some people have told me they think it is brighter then some cars headlights. I think for its size, you cannot do any better. I think it even out performs the 4 cell maglite.

With that being said. There is one annoying thing, well actually two. The first one is pretty simple. Its the battery. It takes a 18650 battery. I managed to find one, (you guessed it) on amazon.com. I actually bought 4 batteries, all rechargeable and a recharger.

The second thing thing is it has 8 modes. Some may like that, but sometimes when adjusting it on the bike I hit the button and it switches modes on me.
I hear you Jason. I've already been trough some similar situations. My opinion is that Maglite are not the strongest flashlights on the market but are certainly the best when it comes to quality/price. I must mention here SureFire Flashlight Product Line - Own the Best. These are so small and so powerful that you can't even imagine! Look at some comparison of Maglite and Surefire flashlights YouTube - Maglite vs. Surefire.

jason

fear no beer
Wow, those look nice. I was thinking of picking one up, until I saw the price. Ouch. Maybe I'll put it on my wish list.

HillbillyMama

Goodness! Who can afford those? I've been paying a lot for Maglite I thought, until I just saw those prices. They are pretty nifty though! I could put one of those everywhere. In my purse, my glovebox, tacklebox, well I guess I'll stick to my mini-mags. :)

Barney

Yeah, the price is high, but that is a fair price if you want industrial grade strength flashlight. Interesting thing about them is that they have adjustable light strength. So you can choose light of, for example, 1 lumen and battery will last around 60 hours or you can choose 250 lumens with the same flashlight (which is insane, by the way) and batteries will only last 20 minutes, but as a result you can light up entire the football field and light it up good! And those things are sure small, aren't they. So impressive...

Taggart

Has anyone used a newer flashlight with LEDs? I'd expect Maglite to get into those as well.

My father-in-law has some kind of light that he squeezes repeatedly to charge up and I think that may have LEDs in it.

Barney

Has anyone used a newer flashlight with LEDs? I'd expect Maglite to get into those as well.

My father-in-law has some kind of light that he squeezes repeatedly to charge up and I think that may have LEDs in it.
Maglite has just medium sized 2AA and 3AA LED flashlights, no large D-ones, at least for now. But if you want those rechargeable ones visit Dorcy Lanterns web site, you'll be amazed with their repertoire of rechargeable flashlights, especially with LED ones!

Last edited:

3ofusnow

My brother was just telling me now they have converter kits for the maglites so you can change the ones you already have into an LED light. He said it's kind of pricey though.