Man missing on 1/2 mile trail at Mesa Verde

Sagebrusher

"Rangers and other emergency services personnel are conducting a search and rescue operation for a 52-year old Texas man that was reported missing Sunday, June 9. Mitchell Stehling told his wife and parents he was going to visit Spruce Tree House. When he did not return, they notified Park Dispatch. A hasty search of Spruce Canyon, Spruce Tree House, Petroglyph Trail and other trails on Chapin Mesa was initiated following the report. Crews were out early Monday morning expanding the search area on foot, by horseback and by helicopter. Two dog teams from Dolores Canine Search and Rescue are also assisting in the search. Approximately 30 people searched multiple trails and canyons until late evening."

Search for Missing Hiker - Mesa Verde National Park

"A 100ft (30m) descent and ascent on a winding path. Total walking distance is 1/2-mile (1km) round trip. Allow 45 minutes to one hour. Trail begins at the Chapin Mesa Archeological Museum. Rangers are on-site to answer questions."

Self-Guided Tours - Mesa Verde National Park

Sounds like he went off-trail, which is illegal in Mesa Verde NP

Grandpa

Yes, there are a couple of "over the barrier" favorite kodak outlooks on that trail. Both would be at least a 100 ft drop. I really thought the elevation fall was more than 100 ft. though. There isn't a lot of places to disappear in that canyon unless he fell and is lodged in some crevasse out of sight.

And yes, we did all those trails three weeks ago. Some people just need to be kept on a leash.

Last edited:

Sagebrusher

Yes, there are a couple of "over the barrier" favorite kodak outlooks on that trail. Both would be at least a 100 ft drop. I really thought the elevation fall was more than 100 ft. though. There isn't a lot of places to disappear in that canyon unless he fell and is lodged in some crevasse out of sight.

And yes, we did all those trails three weeks ago. Some people just need to be kept on a leash.
Cool. Did you know they now offer guided backcountry hikes? I bet it is hard to get on one, though.
This one is the most difficult:

Spring House

As you hike to Spring House, you will be rewarded with views of alcove sites in Navajo and Wickiup Canyons. With 86 rooms and seven kivas, Spring House is the largest unexcavated cliff dwelling in the park. It is extremely fragile, so you will not enter the site, but will get excellent views of the cliff dwelling from a platform at the south end of the village.

This 8-hour, 8-mile (12.9-km) round-trip hike is very strenuous along an unpaved, uneven trail with an elevation change of 1,500 feet (457 m) and includes steep drop-offs and switchbacks.

Bring your own lunch and a minimum of one gallon (4 liters) of water per person.

May 26 to June 5
September 1 to October 6
Sunday and Wednesday at 8:00 am

•Tour is limited to 10 people
•Price: $40.00 per person, all ages.

2013 Special Backcountry Hikes - Mesa Verde National Park

Last edited:

Grandpa

Yes, expensive. Spruce tree house is the only major site that is free anymore. You now have to buy passes and go with a guide to visit the other major areas. Even worse, you have to buy the passes at the visitor center at the bottom of the mesa. If you decide you want to visit another site, it is 22 miles back down the mountain to buy a pass then 22 back up for the hike.

cabinfever

When people do something stupid like going off-trail when they're clearly told it's not allowed, then they should have to pay for the cost of the rescue efforts. Taxpayers should not have to pay for other people's stupidity.

Cappy

Stuff like this happens lots in the swamps. Tourist armed with a camera head down well marked trails. See something take a dozen steps in persuit turn around to head back in the wrong direction. This happened last year to a Germen college professor on vacation here. He wandered off in the lafete reserve which is a small area just almost inaccessible swamp. a few steps off the trail and he was lost. A massive man hunt insued and thankfully he was found 3 days later and alive. Here is a link to the park. yolu can see from the map its really small just rugged thick swamp.

Jean Lafitte National Historical Park and Preserve - Jean Lafitte National Historical Park and Preserve

Grandpa

That is right close to where we took a swamp boat tour in '05. Not a place for us amatuers to wander off the trail. That guy was indeed lucky Cappy. At least my only knowledge of the place was the knowledge that I didn't know enough to wander. That boat ride was a big reason why I chose somewhere else to "survive" in a previous thread. What would kill me would be dinner for Cappy and Peg. So that really would be a good place for survival if I could hook up with a knowing team like Cappy and Peg or Newanderthal. But alone? It would take luck for me to survive a week.

But I guess that is what survival is all about. Being alert enough to recognize the dangers and smart enough to overcome and use those dangers to advantage.

Last edited:

Sagebrusher

Stuff like this happens lots in the swamps. Tourist armed with a camera head down well marked trails. See something take a dozen steps in persuit turn around to head back in the wrong direction. This happened last year to a Germen college professor on vacation here. He wandered off in the lafete reserve which is a small area just almost inaccessible swamp. a few steps off the trail and he was lost. A massive man hunt insued and thankfully he was found 3 days later and alive. Here is a link to the park. yolu can see from the map its really small just rugged thick swamp.

Jean Lafitte National Historical Park and Preserve - Jean Lafitte National Historical Park and Preserve
If he had been in the Barataria Preserve portion of the park, I could see getting lost in that, it's 23,000 acres!