Map resources

Grandpa

I like Earthwalk Press and Trails Illustrated. You can get them online or at your favorite outdoor store.

ppine

Forester
Government Printing Office, BLM office, USFS office, USGS office.
DeLorme Atlas can be found at sporting goods stores.

ponderosa

Earthwalk Press and Trails Illustrated are my favorite as well. Our local tourism office has a surprisingly good selection of high quality topo maps for the state. Sometimes the local FS office has what I need in a topo, but more often they have only travel maps in stock. You can usually order what you need though from the USFS websites though.

stm1957

NotMy1stRodeo
My first choice are usually USGS Topographic maps, but it can be hard to find a good selection of them locally. Here in Grand Junction our best source is a local mountaineering shop, but they can be hit or miss in terms of availability.

A. Because of that I found "The USGS Store". Not only can you find the quadrangles for the area you are interested in, but you can usually chose from 2 if not 3 versions of each quadrangle (hard copy) at their online store, and you can usually download a free full size PDF file of at least one version of each quadrangle. But the site can be a little confusing at first:
1. Go to Map Locator and Downloader
2. Zoom in in the state (or area) you are interested in (I'm serious... zoom in first)
3. Click on: "Don't display Footprints"… Then select: "7.5 and 15 minute"
4. Zoom in further until all quadrangle names are shown
5. Write down the the names of the quadrangles you need
6. Click "Go back to store" at top, then click "Maps" (under product catalog), then click "7.5 Minute maps".
7. On the new U.S. map, click on the state your quadrangles are in.
8. Now on the left find the alphabetical range of the your map title and click it
9. Set "products per page" to 25
10. Navigate thru the list until you find the desired map (There will usually be at least 2 versions) You can add to your cart right here (Repeat for all the other quadrangles in your set)... But…
11. You can also download a free full size PDF file of most of them: (doesn't work with " Content: Aerial Photograph;Contours;US Topo" types) Click on the map's name, then when the thumbnail comes up, click on the "image"… This will download a (full size) zipped PDF to your downloads file.
12. Open this file in your downloads, and print it either as a single page document, or using the "print poster" option, set it to a 6 sheet version and print… trim… and tape together.

B. I also like mytopo.com… Here you can customize exactly the area that you need topo-mapped, add shading if you like, and better yet, get it printed on waterproof and tear resistant paper…. And the 18" x 24" versions are just a little bit more expensive than the cheaper USGS quads. Just go to "Printed maps" and follow the step by step instructions. Here it is also helpful to search by quadrangle name...
You can also add "Game Managements Unit" boundaries, private and public land boundaries, and USFS and BLM boundaries... at an additional charge. And you can order your maps properly folded... "Yes Virginia, there is a proper way to fold a USGS Topo map."

C. National Geographic's "Trails Illustrated Maps" are really good too, though they only cover the most popular areas… here in Colorado there are a bunch (51), but for example in New Mexico There are only 2. These are not as detailed as USGS topos, but are far more up to date, and show many more hiking trails.

D. I'm also including this suggestion: Gmap4… This is a new "hybrid type" integration of "Google Earth" with "USGS topos"… It is still in development stage, but if you play around with it, you will find you can customize your maps and with the right browser print them out.

And then there are the phone apps…. Too many to even list, but one called "Topo Maps" ($7.99) is nice because you can download unlimited "USGS Quads" (for free with the paid app) at home and then you have a "digital copy" on your phone to use even when you have no cell or data signal.

P.S. I realized that because of this forum rule: "You may also NOT place affiliate, live or dead links for purposes of advertising or for any other purpose (other than when assisting a user) in any post or in your signature"... that the links I included may be in violation? I assure you, I have no affiliation with any of these sites, but because of this I am removing the links...
I will gladly re install them if Jason gives me the "go ahead".

Last edited:

Bojib

I had a nice, thought out, good post typed out. Clicked a wrong button, then *POOF* it all disappeared.

Instead of typing it all out again, I'll just share a recent map resource.

I came across a site called caltopo.com recently. It has some pretty neat features, and good printing capabilities (using google chrome anyway).

Knisley

Awesome guys really.

I love holding onto maps from training areas we go to, but I am always running into dead ends when I am trying to get maps just for hiking around outside of work.

Bojib

In my are I've recently discovered a company called OutrageGIS that supplies maps of some of the trails fairly local to me.
They have places in Kentucky and Tennessee that they have maps of, and some digital info too.

I also like the National Geographic Trails Illustrated maps as previously mentioned on here.

National Geographic used to be out the TOPO! series of digital maps you could by on CD. They were basically just seamless USGS 1:24k maps for certain states. It has some good printing capability as well. You can also import GPS data to create your own trail maps.

Speaking of GPS, of which I primarily use Garmin products. I like the Garmin Basecamp program. Garmin of course sells their on sets of digital maps, but since this is the digital age there are plenty of free maps out there created by other users. Often they are better and more up to date than the maps Garmin themselves sell.

Cappy

Maps in our world fall into different categories. For road tripping, car camping a great source of all kind of free maps etc is the states visitor center, located at the state line off'n most interstates. State maps and lots of brochures are available for free. We always stop and look around great place for po0tty break, leg stretching and they often have a free coffee pot. Often there is a helpful attendant with a wealth of local information.

At work I use GPS map systems but am required to carry the NOAA paper maps, official navigation charts. Not to mention personal charts, paper maps, direction books, hand written directions etc.

for fishing and camping I tried satellite maps but quickly gave them up. I much prefer topo's GPS and paper maps. Most any local marina or sporting goods store has an exelent set of cheap paper maps of the area. I love these cause ya can write on them and personalize them. Much as I depend on my garmen gps. I am never without a map of the local area and compass. A word of warning though the swamp lands of the gulf coast are vast, even armed with map and compass if ya cant get a fix on ya position ya could be in real trouble. That's why ya gotta practice nav skills. As ya motor paddle or walk keep a general trail in ya head always. Make a concous effort to keep up with what ya trail would look like on a map. Peggy and I occasionally take another couple on a swamp cruise. while zipping down a curvey bayou I will stop hand them a map and say ok, where are we?? I have even gone so far as give them the map at the start and tell them to follow our trail. It is very rare when someone can locate us and tell me which way to go.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
I usually use the National Geographic Trails Illustrated maps. For most of the hikes I go on, they cover the area I'll be in. I also use the maps from my delorme topo software. They are 1:24000. I generally print them at work though, because we have a laser printer, instead of my home inkjet printer. Inkjet pages and water do NOT mix. Usually my GPS itself is good enough, but there have been a few trips I've been on where I just have to break out the paper and figure out "Is this REALLY where I'm supposed to go?" Paper beats plastic...

Bojib

Inkjet pages and water do NOT mix.
I've found some paper, I think the brand was iGage, that is weather proof. Seems like I got a good deal on it on E-bay. I'm thinking there was inkjet specific paper. It works pretty well with my inkjet anyway. The stuff is not exactly cheap though.

I have some, but I still wind up using the laser printer at work too.

ppine

Forester
The trails illustrated maps, NatGeo, and satellite maps tend to be at a large scale. For traveling on trails in known country they are fine. For more adventurous travel, 7 1/2 minute or 15 minute USGS quadrangles are what you want.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
I bought a delorme on-60 GPS last june, when my 10 year old GPS went belly-up. It came with delorme 1:24000 topo maps of the whole US. I usually just print what I'm looking for. I do it at work on the color laser printer, because home printed maps on inkjet printers don't like rain very much.
However, I also like natgeo's trails illustrated. Thick water resistant paper and they have a lot of trails that delorme missed.