Meet Oldsarge

jason

fear no beer
As part of our New Years hurrah we have a special segment. Getting to know your armed assailant. (bonus points for those who know where the quote is from) But on a more serious note, I thought it may be fun to have a member interviewed each month. This month Oldsarge has volunteered to be victi... err interviewed. Maybe if we ask kindly he may answer some more questions for us and we can grow our interview base questions.

So lets meet Oldsarge.

Tell us a little about yourself?

Born and raised in northeast Illinois. I reside there now after a short time in the military. I am a welder by trade and presently work for BakerCorp. I enjoy shooting, martial arts, hiking, camping, kayaking and backpacking. Not to mention hanging out in my man cave or as I call it The"CP" (command post) listening to music and playing pool while having a few drinks every now and then.

When did you start spending time outdoors?

After the passing of my father when I was 9, I had an uncle who took my aunt and cousins camping regularly. This is where I got the outdoor bug. As I grew up, we had a local forest preserve just down the block from my house. My friends and I spent a lot of time hiking around and partying out there.

What is your earliest memories of the outdoors?

It has to be my Dad's company picnics that took place in the forest preserve I mentioned earlier. There's just something about the woods that drew me to them.

Did you have any mentors when learning your outdoor activity?

Well, it had to be my Uncles who took me and my cousins out. Any other learning was done by me reading about it.

Do you have a favorite memorable moment?

Another uncle who took me out after my fathers passing. We would buy a bucket of Kentucky Fried Chicken, then my cousin and I would hike around slinging chicken bones around the woods as we ate. That and the time I spent in Alaska with a buddy prospecting for gold. what a great experience.

What was your least favorite moment?

My first night alone in the Panamanian jungle as a young troop. Learned some great lessons that night.

What is your favorite outdoor activity?

I don't do nowhere near as much backpacking as I'd like. I think that could be my favorite if I could just get away. But right now, just hiking around and spending time in the woods, maybe a little Geocaching to give me something to do while hiking. I also like practicing wilderness survival skills.

Do you have a dream trip that you would like to take?

After reading post from others on this site about their outdoor excursions, I can only dream of getting to some of those places. But over all I'd like to go back to Panama and visit friends and spend some time in the jungle again.

Have you ever made your own equipment?

I made some map cases, survival kits and cases that I strap on my knife sheath. I have made several really rough knives. It's not about the beauty but how they hold up. Nobody's broken one of my knives yet. I also made a small crossbow pistol during a field exercise once. I'd like to learn leather working and some techniques on making a better knife.

Who is your best outdoor partner?

I'm usually out alone. I do have one friend who is a minister that really enjoys the outdoors and would make a good field partner.

What is your favorite getaway place

It has to be any heavily wooded area that I can get lost in. It's my solitude. The quietness of it all, the smell of the woods and coffee brewing during a break...oh yeah, good cigar!

Parting words or advice for members?

Advice: Don't take life so seriously, take it all with a grain of salt. We all come from different backgrounds and experiences. If we allow it, we can learn a lot from each other as human beings. Even those of you on this site that I have had words with, either publicly or privately. Thanks for the learning experience!

Parting Words: God Bless you all! I wish you all the best in the up coming new year!

charley

Thanks Jason for starting this. I hope it goes well.
Thanks Sarge for answering the questions and sharing some of yourself.
My younger brother was an army ranger years ago and spent some time in Panama and its jungles. He even picked up a wife there.
Have fun in your outdoor adventures.

oldsarge

Well, February is almost over and no new folks taking the plunge on this thread?

jason

fear no beer
Hi...

For some reason, I thought that Jason would 'nominate' the interviewees. :tinysmile_hmm_t2:

Yeah, I'm still recovering from a hard drive crash among other things going on. Will try and pick someone for March soon. Thanks for the reminder.