Monkeybread campfire style

southerngal

I had forgotten all about having this treat as a child, and I had certainly never tried it over a campfire, but it turned out beautifully.

Ingredients:
5 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
3 tablespoons corn syrup
Pecan halves
2 x 8-ounce packages biscuits (refrigerated)
Cinnamon
Sugar

1. Combine 3 tablespoons butter, brown sugar and syrup in pie pan. Heat to bubbly on hot coals.
2. Sprinkle with pecans.
3. Melt rest of butter.
4. Dip one side of each biscuit in butter. Put on waxed paper, butter side up. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.
5. Place 2nd layer of biscuits that have been dipped in butter mixture over first layer.
6. Pour butter/syrup mixture over both layers of biscuits. Cover with 2nd pie pan. Seal pans with double strip of foil.
7. Cook over coals for 15 minutes on each side

hippieP

Even though pecans are not really on my list of happy foods I think I would still try this one. It looks easy enough and we are always willing to try something new.

ppine

Forester
Gal,

Thanks for the post. The longer people are in the outdoors the more a sweet recipe with some fat in it appeals to them. Anyone can be a hero on a long trip with a great recipe like yours.

Blueskyy

Monkeybread! I forgot all about this from when I was a kid. My grandma used to make it for us all the time. I am definitely trying this out. Thanks SG!

Marshmallow

My kids would love not only eating this, but they'd enjoy making it as well. Of course, there would be fights over who gets to do what, but we seldom do anything in the kitchen or when camping that the kids don't get into "who-does-what" contests.