Muddy water and seaweed

campclose

Have you ever had any luck fishing in muddy water or water with a ton of seaweed in it? I would think that the fish would hide in the seaweed so you would catch more. I hate casting my line and then pulling it in and having a bunch of seaweed on it.

Folshen

That was always one of my favorite places for largemouth bass with a weedless lure, but I guess it depends on what your fishing for.

mamabear

Nope! Don't like to fish when all you pull up is seaweed. Muddy water is "iffy." I always think if you can't see the hook, then the fish can't either. I guess I'm just a fair weather fisherman. :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

briansnat

Platnium Member
Muddy water is fine. Fish use more than just eyesight to hunt. Try noisy lures like Chatterbaits, spinnerbaits or buzzbaits, as well as crankbaits with rattles. There are even small rattles you can insert in soft plastics.

As far as fishing weeds, there are lures with weedless hooks, but I prefer fishing soft plastics (Senkos, Kreatures, Space Monkeys, Brush Hogs using a Texas rig style EWG worm hook buried in the plastic. This is almost completely weedless and the bass love 'em.

ChadTower

Here in MA most of the lakes are so weeded up now that even a good Texas rig is 50/50. You just have to learn to fish the water you're in. Every place has slightly different conditions.

cabinfever

I've done just fine with muddy or cloudy water. This is especially true when using live bait or any type of food bait, because the fish go by smell more than sight. Most fish can't see for crap, from what I understand. I've never done a whole lot of fishing in the weeds, so that hasn't been much of an issue for me.