My knife is longer than yours?

Gondor

I often encounter people on the trail and sometimes those can be gear enthusiasts like me. What is really interesting is that almost all praise their gear like it's the best in the world. Why do people have the need to justify their choices to others, gear-wise?

wvbreamfisherman

I think in at least some cases, they are trying to convince themselves that the money they spent was on the best possible gear.

I know that every bit of gear you buy is a balance between weight, utility, cost, personal preference and a host of other variables.

Backpacking stoves are a perfect example. I love my Whisperlite, while my (equally experienced) hiking partner loves her Jetboil. Is one clearly better than the other in all respects? No- each has their advantages and disadvantages. It really comes down to what we prefer and what we perceive as best for us.

The same goes for knives, tents, etc., etc.

The ones who have to brag about their stuff being the best of the best are mostly trying to convince themselves, IMHO.

Newanderthal

Some people get over-excited when talking about their gear. I do this sometimes when I find a real gem. I REALLY want people to understand how cool it is because I didn't even know until I got it and found out it can do THIS! In the end I believe everyone should use what works for them and I'm always willing to learn about the tools and gear used by other enthusiasts.

Some people want to share too much... some believe they're better than you. Smile and nod at the first, shank the second. ;)

Gondor

I think in at least some cases, they are trying to convince themselves that the money they spent was on the best possible gear.

I know that every bit of gear you buy is a balance between weight, utility, cost, personal preference and a host of other variables.

Backpacking stoves are a perfect example. I love my Whisperlite, while my (equally experienced) hiking partner loves her Jetboil. Is one clearly better than the other in all respects? No- each has their advantages and disadvantages. It really comes down to what we prefer and what we perceive as best for us.

The same goes for knives, tents, etc., etc.

The ones who have to brag about their stuff being the best of the best are mostly trying to convince themselves, IMHO.
I believe that is true. My father once told me that people who overly try to convenience others are mostly the ones that are not convinced themselves.

ppine

Forester
I was a gearhead once. I like to look at Trailspace a forum for gear people. But I can't explain the fascination with equipment. For some it seems like a substitue for using their equipment.

Gondor

I believe that is the case with me. But I also like to use them equipment. I'm sort of a half breed. :) Some accuse me I'm a regular mall ninja, but I only wish I had money to be that.

Barney

If you're spending time outside then gear is important, especially the variety and quality of it. And if you enjoy it as well - all the better. I see no problem with it.