New Life Adventure

eco-lite

Flatlander
In the introductions, I introduced myself, including some personal background and some future plans.

Several suggestions were put forth.
Areas where I need help are:
1) Gear reviews
2) Recommendations
3) Advice

For those that followed the thread, I am looking forward to your contributions.

Grandpa

In the introductions, I introduced myself, including some personal background and some future plans.n

Several suggestions were put forth.
Areas where I need help are:
1) Gear reviews
2) Recommendations
3) Advice

For those that followed the thread, I am looking forward to your contributions.
From your intro post, my first bit of advice is camp near reliable water, get a good filter and save packing water in. Everyone in this forum will have their favorite method of cleaning the water and most of those methods are fine. My pick would be a katydine hikerpro or a katydine vario.

eco-lite

Flatlander
Grandpa,

Added the Katadyn Hiker Pro to my list. (Thank you for the suggestion, saved me a lot of time researching the different types of filtration systems)

The Katadyn Hiker Pro seems to be the best of the best (or very near the top).

eco-lite

Flatlander
So, today I am focusing on a tent for backpacking.. Here are two that seem to be perfect for the task.

http://www.rei.com/product/794283/rei-arete-asl-2-tent#descriptionTab

http://www.tarptent.com/scarp2.html
(odd as it seems, they charge an additional $165.00 for a more complete package)
Apparently the poles will make it more rigid for more seasonal weather and you get a mesh plus and additional solid covering.

Or do you have a better suggestion for a light weight, easy to carry, tent that can handle a few months worth of wear and tear and is easy to stuff into a back pack?

This hobby has changed a lot over the last couple of decades.

Last edited:

ponderosa

The arete is probably more tent than you need for your mild climate. Check out the REI halfdome instead. It's been around for years and is well loved by legions of BPers. The tarptent is also a solid choice.

eco-lite

Flatlander
The arete is probably more tent than you need for your mild climate. Check out the REI halfdome instead. It's been around for years and is well loved by legions of BPers. The tarptent is also a solid choice.
ponderosa,
Again, thank you for your suggestion.
The REI halfdome..
The price, size, weight and design are all excellent and will meet my back packing needs perfectly.