Not the furnace too!

TakeAHike

We had to turn on the furnace last week because it is starting to get down in the 40's and lower at night. The other day I woke up and the house was freezing. The pilot light went out. I sent my hubby down to relight it and when he pushed the thing flames shot out about a mile from the furnace. He managed to fix it and get it running again, but I am worried that we are going to have to replace the furnace this year too. We have already had to replace the stove and do some repairs on the dryer.

ppine

Forester
It is all part of modern life as things wear out. I have had to replace the furnaces in 2 rental units in the last 2 weeks.

ppine

Forester
Pathfinder,
If I manage the windows and blinds in my house for solar gain, it will never get into the 40s except during a blizzard. Especially not this time of year.

I left a rental house in Colorado once for Xmas vacation. It got really cold. The toilets froze. That was cold.

Pathfinder1

Pathfinder,
If I manage the windows and blinds in my house for solar gain, it will never get into the 40s except during a blizzard. Especially not this time of year.

I left a rental house in Colorado once for Xmas vacation. It got really cold. The toilets froze. That was cold.

Hi...

Yes, you're quite right. I do exactly the same thing. The solar gain is slowley lessening, however...especially with cloudy/rainy days (today is one of those).

TakeAHike

You actually have to have sunny days to get solar gain Ppine! We have not seen it in a week or more. It is only 44 today and that is the high. It is also extremely high winds. I am not sure what the overnight temps are supposed to be tonight though.

cabinfever

Actually, you probably don't have to replace the furnace as it sounds like you have a clog. You should have a professional come in to clean it and check it out, though, before winter truly arrives.

campclose

I hope you don't have to replace the furnace. They are pretty expensive. We had to replace ours three years ago. We also had to replace the hot water heater the same month.

carmen

The most fun part of being a home owner is learning just how many things you will need to fix or replace over the years. About a year and a half ago we replaced the outside unit of our house. Then a few months ago we had to replace the one under the house. Heck I never even knew the thing came with two units!