NY DEC OFFICER (GAME WORDEN) SERIOUSLY WOUNDED BY CARELESS HUNTER...!!

Pathfinder1

Hi...!!

Unfortunately, one of our DEC guys was seriously injured by a careless shooter...who 'mistook' him for a deer...!!

His condition was considered 'stable', and he is expected to recover...!!

At least the media called this 'mishap an INCIDENT instead of an ACCIDENT...!!

Fools like that shouldn't even carry guns...!!

Any opinions...??

Cappy

I have been using a gun since I was 6 and yea it was a red ryder. Gun safety has been traditionally passed down and I really feel sorry for the millennials who want to experience the out doors but weren't taught by their yuppy parents. I thought there was a mandatory course for folks who plan to start hunting but like all else some folks fall through the cracks so sad. How could anyone take a shot at what "MAY" be a deer??

Grandpa

Even back in "the good old days" incidents took place. A 16 year old boy, riding a sorrel horse, wearing yellow rain suit with orange ribbons laced into his saddle and bridle was coming up the draw. A group of out of state hunters thought he was an elk. Out of the approximate 20 shots fired, 5 hit either the horse or boy. The young man did survive with 2 in his leg, the horse didnt.
A California Dr., driving up an oiled road near Salmon, Id, mistook a 6 year old girl, wearing a red coat, waiting for her school bus for an elk. Again, the girl survived, but the Dr was devastated .

Sitting in the local pop shop when a father and young son came in, obviously from deer hunting. When asked of their success, the youngster blurted out they had lots of shots. They even had one "clear one". The father turned red and they quickly left.

Hikenhunter

I can't figure out why any one would pull the trigger if they haven't clearly identified the target. SAFETY was drummed into us as children when we got our first bb guns. Pa. has a GREAT HUNTER SAFETY PROGRAM, mandatory for all first time hunters, and still we have incidents every year. Sadly most of these incidents involve adult shooters.

Grandpa

Johnny was a newly wed, hunting with his older brothers. They had just worked their way up a wooded canyon and were all together discussing their next move. Johnny suddenly collapsed, dead before he hit the gtound. A. spent 30 caliber bullet had struck him in the temple. It didn't even have enough force to penetrate the skull, but enough to kill him. Some negligent hunter had taken an over the ridge shot, probably from miles away. There are many things to learn before picking up any firearm. Fortunately, these type cases are actually decreasing with current and mandatory hunter safety classes. As an old timer, who learned firearms trailing Dad, uncles, and big brothers 65 years ago, I think even refresher courses should be mandatory. '