Olympic National Park 2015

Refrigerator

Lets do it in Olympic National Park July 24th-August 4th 2015... Yes it's a ways off but this gives time to refine the trip details making this trip an epic adventure.

If interested please let me know so I can add you to a list so I can update you with information.
Preliminary plans.... Hike up North Quinault River to Low Gap then make a Northerly turn onto the infamous Skyline Ridge Trail. Total miles approx. 47 with a couple layover days to enjoy the areas. Average mileage each day approx. seven.

Interested... let me know...this is a trip just right for the older folks with low mileage and just challenging enough to satisfy those young folks. Very scenic area and a very special place waiting for you.
I have more information for those who are interested.....

ppine

Forester
Refrigerator,
You have a great plan, but it is some of the wettest country around. Do you have some special plans to cope with the rain? Many people get demoralized when backpacking is really wet.

ponderosa

Please put me on your list. That park is in my top three favorites, but so far I've only dayhiked there several times. I'd like to have another little one by then to keep me from this trip, but so far that isn't working out and this would be a nice consolation prize. :)

Refrigerator

Please put me on your list. That park is in my top three favorites, but so far I've only dayhiked there several times. I'd like to have another little one by then to keep me from this trip, but so far that isn't working out and this would be a nice consolation prize. :)
I have you down on the list ponderosa.

Refrigerator

Refrigerator,
You have a great plan, but it is some of the wettest country around. Do you have some special plans to cope with the rain? Many people get demoralized when backpacking is really wet.
I backpack all year around and in all types of weather. As an ex Airborne Ranger it never rains on us.
seriously I have the gear I do Alaska every year and ...well Rain has never stopped me from doing what I do.... I live to backpack and I live well.

as far as special gear yes I do have something.... in Alaska I have been told it's the next best thing to sliced bread... I have a 10x 12 Spinn tarp weights 1 lb and connects to your walking sticks so you can use it above tree line... I have even had Alaska Backcountry Rangers stop by and ask if they can weather the rain. Spinn fabric is light, water proof, strong and a little bit cheaper than Cuban Fiber and cost more that silnylon....

ppine

Forester
Sounds like a plan. You would be a great leader for a group. I would just be careful about screening potential participants. The Olympics, especially the west and rainy side is no place for whiners.

Refrigerator

Sounds like a plan. You would be a great leader for a group. I would just be careful about screening potential participants. The Olympics, especially the west and rainy side is no place for whiners.
You are correct about the western side with Rain and screening is easy. Been doing trips like this for 25 years now. Meet people all over the world on trips I host. Screening is first thing I do when I set up the trip to lock in potential participants. One of the first things I do is give them as much information as they can intake with mileage, maps and down to earth links with actual past backpackers who have trekked the areas. They get to kick all this information around then I get to ask them questions like gear and past experiences. I also give them my gear list and my experiences, heck... they don't know me. They have the same handicap. I also am very open with my phone and e mail addy so they can correspond with me anything.
Medical I have all wrapped up as I will go into that one on one with each individual. Hippa laws I abide too as well as privacy.
First as always is SAFETY.

As a retired private guide, I have learned a great deal with organizing a group and executing a safe trip. I have made a good living doing this and have since retired early in my life and now all I like to do is backpack and meet others too share in experiences that will last a life time. I make no money doing trips now. If any money is needed like vehicle rental sharing I am up front with all receipts and vendors... nothing is hidden. It is after all each ones personal trip and I want them to live there dream as I do.

I live to Backpack and I live well

Having wilderness first responders and advanced CPR certifications helps me assist those who may need it.

Last edited:

ppine

Forester
Thanks for a great post. You are generous with your time, and provide a gift to many that would never go on those trips without you.

Pack covers, some extra tarps and extra stove fuel would really help.

Refrigerator

Thanks for a great post. You are generous with your time, and provide a gift to many that would never go on those trips without you.

Pack covers, some extra tarps and extra stove fuel would really help.
Not only do I recommend a pack cover I also recommend they use a good quality trash bag large one and use as an interior liner. Especially sleeping bag and clothing. I personally carry a contractor series plastic bag when I trek Alaska and use it to place my backpack inside so I can leave outside my tent. When you sweat you leave a salty aroma on the pack and bears are very much attracted to it. When above tree line you have no way to hang food or gear so keeping things accounted for and bear aware smart sense has come to me through the years. If I have a choice to fend off a bear going for a salty pack inside my tent uh.... I will take my chances with pack outside the tent secure and waterproof to the elements. I have designed a electric food bag and a electric perimeter fence I use when in Katmai and Kodiak.... lots of bears and plenty of moisture too boot. Electric perimeter fence will allow me to stage up to 6 tents inside a secure area with solar Energizer and battery pack. The bears actually have never gotten into the fence but they have all gotten noses so close and then turn away. I have had Bear experts tell me they believe they can sense the electrical discharge and never penetrate. So far this has worked for me. Plenty of bears and up close and personal but never do they break the perimeter or test it. Totally freaking when you have a bear there on top of you and you feel your heart literally stop beating.
I took a Nols class years ago and blew the instructors away when I introduced this concept. I have sense then given many classes on the very subject and I need to say I got my idea from a Bush Pilot who uses one because of a bear attack on his parked plane out in the bush with coolers full of salmon inside as he and others were returning from a lake they noticed a bear tearing into the plane to have them stranded waiting for support by calling on a sat phone. Cool beans... . To name the exact lake... Grizzly Lake in Wrangell-St.Elias NP the Northern area very near Mt Jarvis and Nabesna Alaska. I go there many times and see Bears every year I go. Silver Back Grizz... very fast moving bear. I need to stop rambling... later

Last edited:

Grandpa

The electric fences are popular here in the west as well. Particularly in Wyoming. A friend has a set that weighs about two pounds for backpacking/hunting in the lower Absorkas and Shoshone NF.

Pigs and bears have about the same sensitivity to electricity. I've used electric pig fences with great success. They will never get close enough to get shocked. This is an idea people living in danger of wild pigs tearing up their yards and gardens might use.

Bear Shock Electric Fence for Backcountry Camping and Outfitters

All of which detracts from the original thread topic. Ppine, the Fridge has an excellent reputation with some of my backpacking pards. I'm sure with his background he can give both you and I many pointers. I'd be pleased to accompany him for the learning experience but 2015 is far enough away that I'll need to see what my health status is before subscribing to his trek.

ppine

Forester
Fridge,
I like to hear about your experiences in Alaska. Lots of outfitters fed up with losing their food supplies have gone to using electric fences to protect their camps.

Dealing with the rain involves some extra steps which you have neatly outlined. After that it is mostly mental toughness and just dealing with it. How do you screen people you have never met who might have limited experience in the outdoors or not much mental toughness? For trips like Katmai and the Olympics you need sturdy companions.

Refrigerator

Fridge,
I like to hear about your experiences in Alaska. Lots of outfitters fed up with losing their food supplies have gone to using electric fences to protect their camps.

Dealing with the rain involves some extra steps which you have neatly outlined. After that it is mostly mental toughness and just dealing with it. How do you screen people you have never met who might have limited experience in the outdoors or not much mental toughness? For trips like Katmai and the Olympics you need sturdy companions.
First of all if they have limited experience I zero in on just that. Two years ago in Alaska I had a team of 12 and being the oldest and fat guy I was always in the lead along with one other guy Mauricio. Mauricio whom I had never met was in the reserves officer program and a pro mountain biker who was very fit and I noticed he was on my heals the entire way. On one occasion I said to him...What is taking them so long. I am older and fattest guy out here? Mauricio replied back... fridge... you're not feeling the fatigue crossing the tussock bog fields..? I said of course I feel it.. I just know my body and my ability and never try to cross the line unless it's life or death. I pace myself. As we continued on through the trip every day Mauricio would be on my heals and I would say to him... go ahead of me... see that hugh rock formation on the hill... go to that point and I'll catch up to you... He always says... no fridge I'll stay with you... making a long story very short... last day late evening around a fire as we all sharing our experiences and triumphs
many of the team members asked me about how I could move so gracefully through the bog fields and Tussock... I told them experience and knowing my limit being honest with myself and HONEST to me is key. I asked Mauricio why did he not go ahead and push his ability to his limit and he replied back... fridge sir..... you had the 44 magnum and I didn't have anything including bear spray... He give the biggest laugh the entire trip, but a lesson to those who I answered there question as how do I do it... I was older and carried approx. 20 lbs more than anyone else. Know yourself, limits and be honest to yourself. I look for this quality and outlook on everyone I meet up with before a trip. I also look at there backpacking experiences and mileage as well as there base weight.. It's like when you're a pro carpenter swinging a hammer for many years and the guy or gal next to you driving nails into a stud wall swing there hammer not a smooth and timing not as mastered... You can tell if someone has swung a hammer enough to master it, you know your game... trust me... if you don't know your game, I would not even try to enlist a team into a trip with demands and obstacles.
Knowing who you are and honesty with yourself is key to any adventure you embark on.
I will be asking questions and I expect them to ask me the same. I don't know them and they don't know me...
Taking teams in the bush for the past 20 years with no major injury and loss of life. Safety is number 1. A strong team will only be as strong as the weakest member. We are one and we finish as one. If someone did experience an unfortunate injury I have several back up plans with Sat phone, spot messenger and total up front communication with Rangers before I embark.

Refrigerator

November 10, 2013

Here is the latest information I have to date.

We all need to arrive in Seattle (Seattle Tacoma International) on July 24 if you want me to pick you up. I plan on staying Fort Worden State Park July 24, 25th and start backpacking very early morning July 26th.

Day 1. July 26 We start at North Fork Camp Ground for approx 8.2 miles to Trapper (Camp 1).

Day 2. July 27 Leave Trapper for approx 8 miles to Low Divide where we will stay 2 nights. (Camp 2).

Day 3. July 28 Second night at Low Divide. There are numerous lakes in the area and looks worthy to check out and preparation to traverse the Skyline Ridge. (Camp 3).

Day 4. July 29 We embark up Skyline Ridge to reach Beauty Lake approx 7.7 miles and stay here for 2 nights. (Camp 4). Alternative plan is camp half way at Seattle Creek one night and Lake Beauty one night cutting the mileage down as this is a butt kicker hump out of the Quinault Drainage.
Day 5. July 30 Second night at Lake Beauty. (Camp 5).

Day 6. July 31 Leave Lake Beauty to make our way to Three Prune 10.5 miles for 2 nights. (Camp 6.) There is an alternative plan pending on our progress along this route as we could stay at Kimta Peak one night and spend one night at Beauty Lake cutting our mileage in half each day as this is a very scenic route and can be advantageous for us to take our time to soak in the scenery.

Day 7. August 1 Second night Three Prune. (Camp 7).

Day 8. August 2 Three Lakes approx 5 miles for 2 nights. (Camp 8).

Day 9. August 3 Three Lakes second night. (Camp 9).

Day 10. August 4 North Fork Camp ground approx 6.5 miles and stay the night here to end this part of our adventure. (Camp 10).

Day 11. August 5 head back to where I am staying at Forth Worden State Park with Hot showers and recovery foods and beverages.

I will be staying at the camp ground at Fort Worden with hot showers and all services within the area.

You do not have to stay in the Fort Worden State Park but you would need to be at the trail head by 8am July 26 2015 North Fork Camp ground (N Quinault River).

July 24 and 25 Fort Worden State Park
August 5, 6, 7 Fort Worden State Park
I will have detailed cost on the fees at Fort Worden camp ground.

There is a 100 dollar Permit fee I will pick this up for a max group of 12. Each person will need to pay a 2 dollar fee each night out backpacking for 10 nights. We do not pay this until early spring 2015.

We will have a rental vehicle and cost is who knows.... pending group size. I have rented a 15 passenger van in the past Alaska trips I do. If we have a small group we can rent a
truck or mini van.

Campfire Girl

Wow, I have always been cautious about camping in bear country. I have never heard of using electric fences before. It sounds like a great idea.

Refrigerator

What is your estimated food weight for the 11 days? That is long for a backpacking trip.
It will be 10 days and the last day food will be at our return vehicle at the campground so actually 9 days of food. First 3 days will be easy following the Quinault River with day 2 and 3 lay over at Low Divide so this will shrink some weight to now 6 days for the hump up along Skyline Ridge. You can use Bear bags to hang along the Quinault and a Bear canister will be needed along Skyline Ridge. I have my weight from 2 to 3 lbs a day and this will be the heaviest item in my pack all knowing each day the weight will diminish. This trip is not for a beginner as is why I am and will screen those who I do not know and of course they can screen me as well. I have trekked with no resupplies before and have gotten very good at it as I will give out tips and know how to the team as we approach the trip dates.
I always send my gear list along with my meal list to all those who will be going to give them an idea how I do it...

There are no resupply point on this trip.

Refrigerator

ponderosa

Hubby and I have been talking about this trip. Given the fact that we're still trying to produce another baby in that time frame (although success there is pretty unlikely), I can't really commit to the trip in the time frame that you need. And even though he says it's OK, I feel guilty about asking him to use all his vacation time to take care of our kids for a trip that long, leaving nothing for a family vacation that year. So I guess I'm out. I'll continue to jealously watch the planning and look forward to the trip report and wait for a time that works a little better for the stage of my life I'm in.

I think I'll plan a Teton Crest trip for about the same time frame as a little consolation.

Refrigerator

Hubby and I have been talking about this trip. Given the fact that we're still trying to produce another baby in that time frame (although success there is pretty unlikely), I can't really commit to the trip in the time frame that you need. And even though he says it's OK, I feel guilty about asking him to use all his vacation time to take care of our kids for a trip that long, leaving nothing for a family vacation that year. So I guess I'm out. I'll continue to jealously watch the planning and look forward to the trip report and wait for a time that works a little better for the stage of my life I'm in.

I think I'll plan a Teton Crest trip for about the same time frame as a little consolation.
Thanks for your interest Ponderosa. Heading for the Tetons is... well... it's as good as it gets. Those Tetons are very impressive and is my next lower 48 big trip. I will be looking for your trip report. Thanks again for your interest.