Only one rifle

dhoyle

I hunt in some pretty thick areas in okla but sometimes there are some open shots up to 400 yards. I have been looking at a marlin 308 lever action. what are your opinion on that gun ?
The 308 Marlin should be a good round though I would think a little shy on velocity and energy for 400 yds. This cartridge is rated between the 300 Savage and the 308 Win

Dougdad

archeryaddict
I am a bolt action fan, I am also a budget minded bugger so I have to opt for the Savage in a 30-06. I like the versatility of the round, I can get bullets from 60 gr. to 200+. I have taken deer at 400 yards easily with mine shooting a 150 grain bullet and have harvested a moose at 300 with a 210 gr. round nose, he to went right down. and the 60 gr. excelerators work great for chucks, p dogs and yotes.

fritz01

I'm thinking of selling my savage mo.110 7mm mag with a simmons 4.5 -14x 40 scope and a win .pre 1950 30-30 . Does anyone have a idea what I should ask for them?

greensteelforge

Assuming your savage is in very good shape, it should sell somewhere between 300 and 400 dollars (depending on the model variant). The Winchester (assuming you've got a model 94) runs from 200 dollars at 10% remaining finish, to 825 dollars at mint condition with all packaging and tags. If you have an average hunting rifle that's been properly cared for with no rust, and only minor wear from use, you're looking at around an 70% gun, which should run about 450 dollars. Be aware that if you try to sell or trade with a dealer, you will likely be offered no more than half to two-thirds it's actual value. If you're going to sell, I'd advise you do so in the near future. Over the past couple years the market has been flooded with firearms, and once things relax a little, and people are faced with tighter economics, the secondary market is going to drive prices very low. Good luck!

dinosaur

troublemaker
Once again, who cares what his gun is worth? Fritz, sell your freaking gun. Get another one. Find one that does what you want. Don't sell that one because it ain't broke. Never fix anything that ain't broke. If it does what you want, shut the hell up and keep hunting.

yooper94

30/30 lever question

I have a winchester 30/30 lever. I hunt mainly up michigan in woods and farmland in central wisconsin. I have a 2x7 nikon scope on it with over under scope rings. my question is will this rifle be good for farmland as it is in woods in michigan? I use 150 grain federal rounds. I like the weight and how this rifle shoots have sighted in at 100 yards within 1/2" circle. I have a blind that is on edge of forest and 40 acre farmfield, was looking for any info that will help reach out further into the field or what upgrade would be a good rifle. not looking to spend alot as i will use gun for deer, coyote hunting etc. thanks

Jayrod

.243 if I had to choose a brand I'd choose Remington Model 700. I live in Georgia...This model would handle anything Georgia can produce...Deer Hogs Coyotes, Gator, etc...

RabbyTat

Been all over, but MS and LA at the moment
Well, if things are so bad that I am forced to add only one future gun ever, then I want to be able to feed it under those dire circumstances. It would be a flintlock fowler in .62 cal (20 GA) because I can cast my own ball, make or scavenge powder and hunt anything from squirrel to moose with it. Besides, I love the tradition of making smoke with the old guns and can make them work very well.

hikinmike

down to one

If I were to have only one firearm from now on it would be my old Savage .22-20g over/under. Best option for small game that I've ever owned. As I'm nutsy for small-game hunting, that'd be it.

mowoodsman

If I could only have one rifle, it would be a remington bolt action in .243 winchester. This cartridge is great for deer with 100 grain bullets, and can be loaded with a wide range of bullets down to 55 grain, making it a good small game cartridge as well. It has a very flat trajectory, and hits as hard as the venerable 30/30 on deer. I have hunted everything from prarie dogs to elk with this particular chambering and have never lost a single animal. In fact, I have never had a deer run more than 30 yards after shooting one, and I have shot them from as far out as 400 yards. (I zero my rifle at 200 yards)

hunter44mag

The choice has to be personal. As you can see, everyone has an opinion. The thing is, they are all right. The choice has to fit you. You have to be comfortable shooting it. All weapons require pratice.
My choice would be something a little heavier than I think I might need, just in case I get a chance to hunt something better than normal [ bear, elk, etc. ]. My choice [I have one ] is a Savage in 7mm mag. It will reach out if you need it. If you are hunting short ranges [ under 150 yrds ] or for some reason need something lighter, Remington offers Managed Recoil ammo that reduces the recoil and impact.