Outdoor Arts and Crafts?

Riverflow

I remember when I was younger, my Dad and I would go into the woods and pick up pine cones off the floor in Autumn. We'd keep them nice and cozy in a box until the first week of December, where we'd paint the cones, cover them in glitter, and hang them up on our Christmas tree.

I also remember being so fascinated with the fact that you could copy a leaf onto a piece of paper with just a crayon! Good times.

Anyone else have some crafty things they've done outdoors and/or involving the outdoors?

wvbreamfisherman

On the less snarky side, I did build a kayak, and I did my share as a kid collecting grapevines and ground cedar for Christmas wreaths.

I also sketch outdoor stuff from time to time.

Judy Ann

I collect sand dollars and hang them on a tree in my bedroom. I found one once the size of a quarter...broke it.

campclose

We did the pinecone craft too. We also made bird feeders from pinecones. I remember making necklaces out of sand dollars and sea shells. We also made necklaces out of black walnuts.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
I have enough pine cones in my front yard, I don't need to go to the woods. Never thought about wreaths from grape vines, I have plenty of those too.

I like the leaf rubbing thing. Generally my wood crafts center around not setting fire to the woods with my stove, causing other campers to double over in hysterics as I hang my bear bag, and the morning-after stuffing of the underquilt into it's itty bitty sack. After all that, I don't have the energy to whittle or collect anything.

ppine

Forester
Logging for house logs and tent poles for tipis. Collecting cascara bark to sell to pharmacies in WA. Collecting ferns and mushrooms to eat.Using poles to build permanent lean-tos and lean-pe.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

Used to collect princess pine for wreaths. Wreaths were easy to make...just 'round' off a coat hanger, and wrap the p.p. around it. Others would pick it for commercial sale.

When partridge hunting one fall, I saw movement in a hemlock tree in front of me. I raised my gun in anticipation of getting a partridge...when lo and behold...it was two guys cutting boughs for sale to florests, wreath makers, etc...!!

Now, princess pine is protected...at least in N.Y.

jumpup

I plan on collecting leaves, pine cones and branches to freeze in ice forms and hang from the trees during winter. Berries would look pretty, too. I'll probably use about 1" of water in a bundt pan so I can tie a string through the center to hang the frozen bird feeder.

IHeartDirt

My sister and I would make dream catchers out of willow or soft maple branches. The string was usually hemp and for the single bead in the web. we would search for small rocks or shells with holes in them. Those kinds of rocks are easy to find near rivers and creeks.