Overrated Bushcraft Knives...

Northern Dancer

I've taken "bushcraft" weekend courses in the past. I didn't take the courses to become an expert, I took them to add to my general knowledge. I noticed then as well as today the knife seems to be a top-sales item. Have you noticed that? Some of the blades they wanted to sell me were scary and downright ugly. Sort of something that Eddy Crugar might purchase.

Anyway, the knife that I use most is the Swiss Army knife; small, compact, and practical. I do have a Bear Gryllis knife that rests comfortably in my camp toolbox. And yes, I have a fillet knife. I remember once that I cleaned it off on my jeans. Did ya know that the denim material doesn't protect you?

When I got my Gryllis I immediately replaced the dinky whistle with one that I believed was louder. Now don't get me wrong - some knives are appropriate for the circumstance, but most us us don't need a machete. I tend to stay with a small knife and a hatchet and both are sharpened before I head out.

Enlighten me, tell us your experience and what you use your knife for.

ppine

Forester
I don't trust people with large hunting knives on a camping trip. Bowie knives, that kind of thing unless we are hunting moose or grizzly bears.
A sharp knife if much safer. Just be careful where you put it.

ppine

Forester
I started collecting knives when I was about 7-8 years old. My Dad would bring me knives from his business trips. Once he came back from Africa with some great ones. He always said a good all purpose knife has a narrow blade around 4 inches long. You can spread mayo, gut a fish or skin a buck with it.

Roybrew

IMG_20231217_094447978.jpg
Other then a fillet knife, these are the only ones I take. The 4" sheath knife stays in my kitchen kit. The little rough rider fits nicely into a watch pocket IMG_20231217_094603925_HDR.jpg