Packing Tips

MoreTime

How do you manage to take along all of the stuff that you need, in a pack that is small enough for you to manage? Do you just leave stuff behind?

IndianaHiker

Compression sacks work well but I have just recently stopped using them for every except for my tent if I bring it. The thing I don't like about compression sacks in the body of my backpack is I often don't place them properly in my pack. Now a have a fluffy sleeping bag that is condensed and as hard as a brick causing a lump in my pack that will ride against my back. I have stopped using them and using cloths sleeping bag etc to fill in empty spaces between other items.

Chilly

Not only that, the compression sacks will make things significantly more heavy, and perhaps harder to carry because you can add more stuff to your pack. I'd think carefully about leaving things behind.

BigBackyard

Learn to go without. Try and take the bare minimum that you need, and take stuff that double up in function so that you need less. And try not to stress, as long as you have your safety stuff with you!

Jobiwan

Learn to go without. Try and take the bare minimum that you need, and take stuff that double up in function so that you need less. And try not to stress, as long as you have your safety stuff with you!
I agree. Knowing what not to take has taken me some time to achieve but nonetheless I trek with the bare essentials

FlanneryCam

I am an overpacker. But owning a big bag (100 litres) also didn't help for when I have the room I will add more. Taking one too many trips with too much gear taught me a lesson.

Now I have a much smaller pack. While I'm still really good at filling every nook and cranny with stuff, well I have less space to do it in. Getting a smaller bag was smart.

wvbreamfisherman

First, sit down and make two lists: the HAVE to have list, and the NICE to have list.

Figure out how to pack the essentials in whatever pack you're using, then you can decide what non-essentials you can take, if you want to.

I'm not really hard core about stripping ship to the bare sticks, I'll take along a good bit of "nice to have" stuff as long as I don't feel overloaded.

Compression sacks are great for saving space. Since I use a "gasp :tinysmile_aha_t: " external frame pack, I strap my tent/sleeping bag/sleeping pad on the outside, leaving the inside of the pack for other stuff.

My biggest flaw right now is carrying too many extra clothes. I'm getting better at judging that , though.

Judy Ann

First, sit down and make two lists: the HAVE to have list, and the NICE to have list.

Figure out how to pack the essentials in whatever pack you're using, then you can decide what non-essentials you can take, if you want to.

I'm not really hard core about stripping ship to the bare sticks, I'll take along a good bit of "nice to have" stuff as long as I don't feel overloaded.

Compression sacks are great for saving space. Since I use a "gasp :tinysmile_aha_t: " external frame pack, I strap my tent/sleeping bag/sleeping pad on the outside, leaving the inside of the pack for other stuff.

My biggest flaw right now is carrying too many extra clothes. I'm getting better at judging that , though.
It has been tough getting used to funky smells when having to wear the same clothes to bed that I hiked in to stay warm in the winter. I'm adding a couple of Smartwool base layers to my wish list this fall. Even though I was toasty warm, I kept myself awake whenever I snuggled down into the mummy bag...whew! :tinysmile_hmm_t2:

Grandpa

This ties to the camp set up thread. Keep those tents spread out.....:tinysmile_twink_t2:

Esperahol

You pack the needed things and then you pack the stuff you want. The best practice for this is to attempt packing everything you need for a three-day trip by plane into one suitcase.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
I use compression sacks for my sleeping bag and underquilt. My tent and fly go in Seperate dry sacks, but I don't compress them. If you squash everything into hard little balls, they leave a lot of space between them. I let the stuff sacks take up voids in the pack. If you want to decide what's important, put everything you want to take in your pack. Walk a mile down the street in it. Come home and take the stuff you don't absolutely need and put it in a sack. Pick up the sack... After my first overnight I dropped 5 pounds of crap when I got home.

ppine

Forester
Don't bring too much, but bring what you need. Keep it close to your back. If it doesn't fit you don't need it, unless it is cold and snowy or some other unusual set of conditions.