Persimmons

Snuggles

Have any of you ever done anything with persimmons? I grew up eating persimmon pudding, but not many people have. They think they're strictly for the "possums."

I just eat them straight up. They are so delicious. I wish we had them year-round, I only ever seem to find them in the winter time around here. I could eat ten of them in one sitting!

wvbreamfisherman

Straight up mostly (and God help you if the're still "green"- takes forever to get the "dry" feeling out of your mouth).

I've also had persimmon preserves, but its hard to get enough of them together to make a decent batch.

Snuggles

I just eat them straight up. They are so delicious. I wish we had them year-round, I only ever seem to find them in the winter time around here. I could eat ten of them in one sitting!
I'm guessing they are completely ripe. Otherwise you would still be trying to get your mouth turned right side out. I'll bet you bought the ones in the grocery store didn't you?

Treehugger

Many years ago my in-laws had a persimmon tree in their backyard. Of course, all the fruit didn’t ripen at the same time. So as the persimmons matured a few at a time, Mom would pick them and squeeze the juice. Then she would freeze it until she had enough to make jelly.

Snuggles

Here is a good article on the persimmons that I am talking about. I've never heard of anybody making persimmon jelly Treehugger. Do you have a recipe for that?

dinosaur

troublemaker
A persimmon tree is a wonderful thing to locate at just the right time of the year and the coons and Opossums haven't decimated it yet. Same thing goes for chokecherries, elderberries and paw paws.