Pike for Dinner

Woodland

I had pike for dinner on Saturday and it was delicious, fried with onions and red pepper. The only thing I didn`t like was all the little bones. I need to learn how to clean them so I get all them out. Is there a trick to cleaning them and removing most of the bones?

dinosaur

troublemaker
Yes. It's rather difficult to describe. It involves angular cuts along the back ridge. I'll see if I can find a video of it.

I just checked. Go to you tube and type "filleting Northern Pike" There are numerous videos you can watch that will explain it in detail.

Last edited:

Woodland

Thanks for the YouTube idea, Dinosaur. I found one video that gives great instructions on how to fillet out those nasty bones! He did it in such a way that he ended up with a clean fillet.

ppine

Forester
If you live around pike, find someone to show you how to take out the Y shaped bones.

Last edited:

dinosaur

troublemaker
We live around Pike and Carp. Both have "Y' bones and you have to know what you are doing to get clean meat.

bushhog

pike are a great fish, to de-bone starts with a flat cut down the back, then fillet along the y bones, just leave the meat behind them