Poor Old Tent

Roybrew

Got a camping trip scheduled in September, so my wife wanted to set up the tent for airing out and cleaning. she didn't like the good old musty tent smell.IMG_20230728_115952153_HDR.jpg So that was yesterday. I left it out all night and figured I'd pack it up today. Storms rolled in while we were in town. I knew it might rain, but I didn't expect high winds.Screenshot_20230729-165837-213.png
Yep, big winds blew thru. I didn't have my tent staked down very well.IMG_20230729_165237916_HDR.jpg
Nothing broken or torn. What a mess. Well it got a good thorough washing. I was hoping it would just rain so I could if it leaked. Ha it's water logged.
Roy

Roybrew

I set it up in the basement to dry. A dehumidifier and box fan did the trick.IMG_20230730_162907.jpg
I found my tent stakes strewn about. This is the tent stake with the part of the cord still attached.IMG_20230730_132417150_HDR.jpg
This attached to the front of the rain fly. I had it facing north East because the storms normally come from the south west. So the wid direction was unexpected.
IMG_20230731_162520108.jpg
I rolled it up with a few strips of cedar. Figured it would smell nice when we go camping.
Roy

Northern Dancer

What a wonderful excuse to purchase a new one. Dunno - how old is the one that fainted on the scene? I was looking at some tents this afternoon - lots of sales on at the moment. Each tent I've purchased is better than the last one because I now know what to look for and what I want [maybe need] to continue my peculiar camping behaviour. Just sayin...

And how many times have I instructed campers, "It is important that you peg down your tent and use all the guylines that are attached." Though if the truth be known, there were times that I was lazy and threw caution to the wind, or something like that. :Frown2:

Last edited:

ppine

Forester
I have worn out some nylon tents from UV exposure and given some away.
My canvas wall tent is over 40 years old. It smells like wood smoke and has a few patches. I would not trade it for anything.

Northern Dancer

I have worn out some nylon tents from UV exposure and given some away.
My canvas wall tent is over 40 years old. It smells like wood smoke and has a few patches. I would not trade it for anything.
-----> It was a terrible, terrible thing I did Pine...because no one wanted my canvas tent, and I was wanting a new fan-dangled, modern, ultra-new version of a tent I dumped mine. That was a mistake. There was nothing wrong with the canvas tent I had and sounds like it was better than the one you have. Yep, it had the familiar wood smoke aroma but it was solid in any storm or condition. Sigh, there are times I'm dumb.

Roybrew

You can't beat a good canvas tent. The one one we had when growing up, got handed down to my sister. I think her boys did it in a few years ago. It was sold by Sears and Roebuck back in the 60's.51c300421350442bb3b9ddf5a80b45cb.jpg
It was similar to this one.