Primitive or Modern

Campfire Girl

Well, what do you think? Do you prefer modern campsites or primitive? I like the conveniences of modern campgrounds with the electricity and bathrooms. There is something to be said though for primitive camping. Fewer campers is a big plus. I like getting off by myself, just me and nature. I do let my husband come too.

Cappy

Peggy and I do both. the hook ups in the summer cause of the southern heat. from now to april though we visit our off the grid spots with our lil camper. It aint what yall call primitive, but the camper hauls our fishing and hunting geer and allows us to camp off the grid for a week or more at a time.

Denni2

I love primitive camping. We have a Luggable Loo and a popup tent so bathrooms are not important. The last place we camped the bathrooms weren't real clean so we preferred our own. It is hard to find a quiet primitive spot in our area, but at least there are no tv's in primitive.

ponderosa

I try pretty hard to avoid campsites where I have to listen to generators or other people's music, even when we're car camping. An outhouse and a water hydrant are just about all the development I'd ever want, perhaps a picnic table, and I'll happily give those up to be alone. My little girls learned to potty in a "cat hole" in the woods right along with the rest of potty training, so facilities are not necessary for us.

Newanderthal

I personally don't consider having access to running water, public restrooms, and electricity to be camping. Isn't that the same thing as sleeping on the porch?

Michael

I've never camped anywhere with electricity or running water. I don't even use camp grounds. I just like to go into the woods and set up my tent in a pretty spot.

My brother and I have a spot that we like to go together. We made a couple of stools and a short bench out of stuff we found in the woods, and that's about as modern as I've ever done. I mean, furniture, rather than sitting on rocks! What'll they think of next?

bsmit212

I prefer primitive. Less nosie from other people. I will use modern from time to time depending on the trip and where we are, but not often

Theo

eyebp's mentor
I like both. Each has its allure. What I don't like is for someone to tell me that what I'm doing is not camping. If what I'm doing is not your cup of tea, well that's cool but don't infringe on my enjoyment because you think there is only one way to do something.

I've seen this same type of discussion in the paddling sports. Canoe vs Kayak, etc.

Theo

eyebp's mentor
And, yes, I have "camped" in my backyard/porch and enjoyed it, thank you very much.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

ppine

Forester
I like it all. Being unplugged and relying on simple low-technology is what makes being in the outdoors relaxing. Primitive camping will always be important to me.

On the other hand, long trips, say over 2-3 weeks or traveling in extended bad weather, having an RV with hook-ups can be a great thing.

Some people are die-hards that will never warm up to anything but a tent. Most people that are against RVs have either never tried one, or only go on trips of less than 2 weeks. Sometimes you just need to take a shower, do some laundry and get warm and dry.

briansnat

Platnium Member
The more primitive the better. I don't feel like I'm camping when I'm at a site where luxuries are provided. I don't even care for the pit toilets that a lot of designated paddle-to wilderness sites have in the northeast.

Last edited:

Grandpa

Its all good. I tolerate grandma's luxeries. Nawww take that back. I like them too. But I also like deep in the wilderness, on trail or off, high mountains or low deserts. Well, high deserts and low mountains are okay too. It's all good, or did I say that already?

ponderosa

It's not that I don't appreciate a shower occasionally in the middle of a long road trip. I do. It's just that I'd prefer to get a hotel room once in a while than drag around an RV and stay in populated campgrounds for three weeks. Or occasionally get a tent site in a nice state park with shower facilities. We do tend to use actual forest service campgrounds (of a fairly primitive variety...water hydrant, outhouse, picnic table) when we're traveling, rather than the completely undeveloped places we go when camping is the single objective. But for me, the hassle and significant expense of traveling with an RV just don't outweigh the benefits at all. And yes, I've experienced RV camping a few times with friends. It just wasn't for me. To each his/her own, eh.

Campfire Girl

I personally don't consider having access to running water, public restrooms, and electricity to be camping. Isn't that the same thing as sleeping on the porch?
I never heard it compared to sleeping on the porch before. My porch has too many nosy neighbors. I do primitive camping to get away from it all.

ppine

Forester
Ponderosa,
Thanks for your explanation.
I can't stand hotels. They are noisy, dirty, and too expensive. We haul 3 dogs around and end up in some crummy ones.
One secret about RV parks, that is not well known, is that they are the quietest places around. Lights out for most people is around 2100, or they are at least inside.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
The more primitive the better. The running water better be a stream, the bathroom the closest tree, and the car at least two miles away. Of course, on the AT this changes... the closest road and shelters are probably close by, as well as privies.