Reenactors?

SweetSassyLady

Are there any Civil War reenactors here? We went to an exhibit this last summer and I honestly was thinking about joining them. My husband was interested as well. It looks like loads of fun and a good way to remember the "Glorious Dead". :)

Qweetzy

I've never been to a reenactment. I would think it would be interesting. I've heard there a plenty of spooks on the Gettysburg battlefield. :) It does sound like something I may want to explore too. Thanks for the suggestion.

charley

I'm a spy for the north. I hope to be heading south again the first of the year. It's easier now that I have relatives scttered over the south.

SweetiePie

I think it would be a lot of fun! I love going to these sorts of things. We go to a Renaissance Fair every summer and we dress in costume. It is awesome.

briansnat

Platnium Member
I'm not but my brother was for many years. He had a lot of fun doing it. He told stories of campfires after hours singing period songs and sipping corn whiskey out of flasks.

Different units have varying degrees of authenticity. My brother's unit was a very authentic one. He'd buy clothing made using period methods and materials. In some cases he used actual antique items like his gun, canteen and flask. It can be pretty expensive to outfit yourself authentically. They would not be allowed non Civil War period items. If you smoked it had to be a pipe or cigar as cigarettes were not common at the time. And the pipe had to be of a Civil War era design.

Even the food had to be authentic. Sometimes all they would have to eat would be hard tack that they made from a Civil War era recipe. I tried it once. Not something I'd want to live on .

Other units don't care as much about being truly authentic as long as you look authentic from a distance. The fully authentic reinactors even make sure the stitching is authentic, even stiches you don't see while this group doesn't worry about hidden stitching as long as the stitches that show look authentic.

And still other units barely make a show of being authentic. They wear modern materials like nylon and might even have Adidas on their feet. The latter group is kind of looked down on by the other two.

As I said, my brother had a blast, unless he was sleeping in a leaky pup tent in the rain and wearing soaked wool clothing. He said that could be pretty miserable.

Last edited:

AlphaMale

That does sound fun. I'm not sure I would be up for the authenticity but it would certainly be fun to try. My wife could be a Suthin' belle and wear green velvet drapes made into a dress and a hat. Hmm. I think I have some of those in the attic. :)

scarlett

We have a group that meets at a local summer camp every weekend during the fall to practice and get together and do their "Knight stuff"....I love seeing them all dressed up in their finery. It is so cool. I have often wondered how to get involved in one of those groups.

huntergal

I have a friend who does civil war re-enactment. You really have to know your stuff because they expect you to be in character right down to the kinds of utensils you use and the stuff that you say.

Grandpa

Looks to be a lot of fun. I would love to watch all the black powder smoke. Out west it is Mountain man rendevouz. Friend went to one and the mock battle was anything but authentic. They charged up the hill and the "indians" had a tennis ball cannon mowing them down. (Or maybe he was an Indian and the cannoneers were mountain men, who knows after all the shine they drank)

However, most rendevouz are very authentic, right down to knapping flint arrowheads, brain tanning hides and even some making their own black powder.

briansnat

Platnium Member
That does sound fun. I'm not sure I would be up for the authenticity but it would certainly be fun to try. My wife could be a Suthin' belle and wear green velvet drapes made into a dress and a hat. Hmm. I think I have some of those in the attic. :)
I'm not sure if there would be a place for a "southern belle" type depending on the reinactment, but women often participate as "camp followers". They were sometimes the wives and girlfriends of soldiers, but more often they provided services for the soldiers like laundry, cooking and yes, you know what.

Last edited:

Theo

eyebp's mentor
I'm not sure if there would be a place for a "southern belle" type depending on the reinactment, but women often participate as "camp followers". They were sometimes the wives and girlfriends of soldiers, but more often they provided services for the soldiers like laundry, cooking and yes, you know what.
Actually, quite a few battles were attended by the local population. Kind of like going down to the local park these days and watching a pick up game.

Judy Ann

Nurses??? :)

Grandpa

Yes Judy, Nurses would always be in hot demand.....

gaangel posted an album of reenactment photos here in OBC.

oldsarge

Every year there is a reenactment not far from where I live. It's pretty impressive, the whole event last for several days with all kinds of local activities. you can walk through the camps and see how these folks lived back in the day. It's like being back in time! There are several battles that take place throughout the event. I have also seen small events of WWII and Viet Nam, nowhere near as detailed as the civil war reenactors but interesting just the same.