Research topics for horse lovers

BGreen

My niece is in the sixth grade, and she asked me to help her come up with her spring research project. She wants to do it on horses and has to have some authentic sources, such as interviews. She's all into horses, but only has one old broken down rescue horse someone gave her as a Christmas present. What are some possible topics I can suggest to her?

Grandpa

There are lots of possible topics. Maybe she should start with available sources and work back to the topic. If you are looking for interview sources in here I would suggest Ppine or Coz in cowtown for starters. Dino and I might also be able to throw a word or two in.

ppine

Forester
I would urge any young horse enthusiast to study Ray Hunt, Tom Dorrance, and Buck Branahman for starters. Check out the movie "Buck" as an intro. Modern horsemanship is slanted in favor of horses and makes people better too.

edit- A great topic is the current movement aways from bits. Lots of people ride now with rope halters and a lead rope, hackamores, and a device called a bitless bridle. It will probably be the norm someday not to use bits.

Last edited:

BGreen

These are great ideas. I did pick up about 8 horse books for her at Goodwill for $1.50 each right before Christmas. I'll bet I got $200. in coffee table and reference books. I must have hit it right after someone was clearing out a collection. I forgot we took photos of the wild horses at Ocracoke when we were there a few years ago. I'll pull those out for her, too. Thanks, folks.

JeepThrills

She could interview a vet that specializes in livestock. They could discuss the medical issues that horses are prone to or perhaps ways to prevent certain conditions from occurring.

plsargent

What about 4-H in her area. Does her school have a program? I did 4-H all through jr. High and high school and learned a lot. Or any area rodeos around with a queen and court they would be great source of information as well.