Shelter Material?

Gondor

I would rarely build shelter from scratch but if you needed to what wood would you choose for constructing its base? Also, what material would you choose for flooring and roofing, so to speak.

Theo

eyebp's mentor
You use what is readily available. Otherwise, you go to Lowe's/Home Depot and get what you like. But then, I guess that wouldn't be a shelter but a house.

mamabear

If you have a choice, cedar is good. Keeps the bugs out. You didn't specify if you were building this shelter in the wilderness out of "what's available" or if you were using your local Lowe's or Home Depot. One day, I'd like to build a log cabin completely from scratch. One day!

Gunny Webb

Outdoor Member
My nephew built a one room cabin/shelter for me. Framed the floor with pressure treated 2 by 6's, decked with 1/2 inch plywood, framed the sides with 2 by 4's, layed 2 by 6's on top and covered with used tin. Built a small table and 2 bunks inside and added a small wood stove. Quite cozy when it's 10 degrees outside.

Grandpa

Well, if I was stranded in a pine forest and figured to be snowed in for the winter, I'd fashion it out of pine. But first, I would try to avoid being stranded in a pine forest to begin with.

Now if I was going to fashion a line shack in the back pasture, I'd use treated 4x4's for the base covered with 1/2" waffle board floor. Frame it out of 2x4's and sheet it with 7/16" waffleboard. Roof would be 2x4 trusses for rafters, sheeted waffle board, covered with roofing felt, covered by corrugated metal. Sides would be finished with any suitable siding I could find including old barn wood. A simple sheepherder stove and comfort would be assured.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I think the biggest concern here is ground contact. If you're building a temporary shelter - no problem. But, if you want to reuse your little house, ground contact is a major problem. You want something that won't rot out.

In the Midwest there are three that come to mind: White Oak, Osage, and Black Locust. We use them for fence posts, They last a lifetime.

offtrail

I believe it has more to do with what is available in you area, you can't use pine in a oak forest. I have used wild field grass, tree branches and rock overhangs for shelters. I don't carry a tent just a tarp so i use that tarp with the material in the area.