Sheperd's pie variations

SusieQ

Have you ever used sausage and burger in your pie? I am going to try this over the weekend. A friend told me to add some flavor by using ground Italian sausage and hamburger as the meat. I can't wait to try it. Have you ever tried it and was it good? What other types of meat have you used? How about a variation for the potatoes - anything other than potatoes on top?

campclose

I had it once with a mixture of burger and sausage. It was pretty good. I've never had anything other than mashed taters on top though. I did watch a show last night and they were making it. They put taters on top and then dough. It was odd.

SusieQ

Oh I like cheese too. I usually add shredded cheese to the filling inside. I find that when I put cheese on top of anything that I bake the cheese tends to overcook. When I add it to the middle it is just perfect.

Cappy

Guess I live under a rock or something, cause I aint got a clue what sheperds pie is. Sounds like something a sheep would leave behind:tinysmile_tongue_t:. from the above post I assume it aint what comes to mind but meat with potatoes on top baked like a casarole. If'n that's da case in my world the sky is the limit.:tinysmile_grin_t:

TakeAHike

My mom had a Shephard's Pie recipe that is way out of the norm, I think. Basically you layer browned burger, green beans, vegetarian vegetable soup, Velveeta cheese and mashed potatoes and then bake it. It is delicious.

cabinfever

I make this two different ways, but both just using ground beef. Both start with ground beef sauteed with chopped onions for the bottom layer. One version is then layered with a mix of cream and whole corn, then topped with mashed potatoes. The other is layered with green beans mixed with tomato soup, then topped with mashed potatoes. I also add a bit of seasoning, but very lightly.

Blueskyy

I make something that sounds very similar to these recipes with shredded chicken. I am not sure if that would count as Shepherd's pie. Now I am going to have to try this with beef!

stealth

My mom had a Shephard's Pie recipe that is way out of the norm, I think. Basically you layer browned burger, green beans, vegetarian vegetable soup, Velveeta cheese and mashed potatoes and then bake it. It is delicious.
That sounds insanely delicious. I hadn't considered using Velveeta instead of regular cheese, but I can imagine how much better that could be.

I will usually throw in whatever veggies I have laying around into the mix. I will put in string beans, corn, peas, carrots, etc. I like to have it almost like a beef stew with cheese and mashed potatoes on top.

TakeAHike

That sounds insanely delicious. I hadn't considered using Velveeta instead of regular cheese, but I can imagine how much better that could be.

I will usually throw in whatever veggies I have laying around into the mix. I will put in string beans, corn, peas, carrots, etc. I like to have it almost like a beef stew with cheese and mashed potatoes on top.
It is amazingly delicious Stealth! The Velveeta just makes it so much creamier than regular shredded cheese does. I actually might have to make it now that I have been talking about it.

Greatoutdoors

I haven't had Shepherd's pie in years, but I bet my kids would love it. I am going to have to make some for dinner one night and I think I am going to try the Velveeta with it!

basejump

My mom used to make Shepard's pie using turkey and ham for the meat. I later found out that it is a version of Shepard's pie known as a St. Stephen's Day pie. I haven't had that in a very long time!

I love the idea of using Velveeta in place of regular cheese. I bet that would taste great.