Shopping for a new Bush Knife

northernbushape

The Jeepist
Certainly not by choice, as my old Winchester has been a constant and reliable companion for a long time. I have to resign myself to the fact that it has most likely been lifted from my Jeep. I had the top down all summer and I think I left the knife under a seat last weekend. Whatever happened, it is now missing in action and I am looking for a replacement.

So, I would like to hear your thoughts on a good knife. I have some prerequisites and have looked at dozens of knives. I have pretty good knowledge of knives in general, but it's always good to get other opinions. The knife I purchase will have a demanding career ahead of it :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Must be ...

Full tang
Drop point
Minimum 4mm top thickness
Minimum 4.5" blade and no more than 10" total length
Scandi-ground bevel (would consider double-bevel on the right knife)
No Serrations
HC for scandi-grind, or 440 Stainless for double-bevel
Kydex or Ballistic nylon sheath - no leather
Lanyard fitting
Handle material is debatable.
$100 USD or less
No folders - they are dangerous for what I need it for, and I have plenty already.

I would like to hear personal feedback if you have a knife that you think would be up to the challenges of a very demanding bush ape.

jason

fear no beer
I wish I could help you. I was actually going to try and find something like you had. I would like to see what people come up with though.

Newanderthal

Cold Steel SRK

I've been using this knife for about 9 years. I've hammered nails into a tree, pried apart pallets, hammered the knife into a log and used it as a splitting wedge, cut a sapling for use as a crutch when I tore up my ankle and skinned deer. It takes an edge like a pro and holds it like a champ. I use the Lansky sharpening kit.

Here's one with the Carbon V steel blade, which is superior to the AUS 8A Stainless of newer models.

If you want a larger knife more suitable for chopping, you could try the RECON SCOUT. It's the SRK's big brother. My big brother got his about 13 years ago.

Last edited:

northernbushape

The Jeepist
Impressive knife! I had forgotten about the SRKs. I think the Recon Scout is a bit large, but the SRK looks to be right on the money. I know of a local guy too that will re-bevel to Scandi for about $40.

Thanks for the suggestion - a strong contender for sure.

Newanderthal

that knife goes everywhere with me, but the Carbon V's are harder to find every year. You might also look at the kukris at khukurihouseonline.com like the 8" Raw Angkhola. I ordered a custom knife from them and it's a beast.

northernbushape

The Jeepist
I have a Gurkha Kukri from Pakistan and I love it. Great chopper and splitter, but a little large for general carry. As you already know, the Kukris are all categories of nasty! It's funny to see people's reactions when I bring it out :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

You can see it at 0:42 of this video ...

YouTube - OutdoorBaseCamp's Channel

I bought it as an alternative to my machete which is not very well suited for the woods around here. The Kukri does a much better job on wood. The machete is just too flexy.

Last edited:

Newanderthal

Ontario Knife also has the RAT series, available at knifecenter.com

Their machetes are also much heavier than most, and the soft rubber handle eliminates the vibration when chopping tougher woods.

northernbushape

The Jeepist
Nice.

I have heard of the Ontarios many times, but have only seen the larger 12" + bowie-style and machete models.

I like the RAT-7 and the Ranger RD 6 - both very good knives and right in the price range. Bad reviews on the Ranger sheaths though.

Great suggestions!

Edit: Looked up the prices on the Rats up here in Canuckia, and they are quite spendy - outside my budget.

Last edited:

northernbushape

The Jeepist
Picked up the new knife today. I went with the Ka-Bar Becker BK2. $90 CDN after taxes - not a bad deal up here and cheaper than any other store that carried them.

I tried the Cold Steel SRK as well, but I found that the handle material and checkering was a blister waiting to happen. It was easy to hold onto and felt very nice in my hand, but I think If I were to use it for an hour or so it would get quite uncomfortable in the hand and possibly bring out a blister.

The BK2 feels very nice, very stout, and has a nice heft to it.

Both knives are very good and I would have gone with the SRK had the BK2 not been available. I may have added some rubber to the handle to make it more comfortable.

I will post a few pictures maybe tomorrow.

Thanks for the great advice and feedback in this thread. Very much appreciated.

My happy is enlarged :tinysmile_grin_t: