Sleeping Bag Ratings?

Gondor

Some say there are two types of sleeping bags, winter ones and those that are all-year-round, except for winter. So, basically, you need to have 2 sleeping bags. Would you say this is reasonable? By the way, disregard materials and technology used in their manufacturing.

Barney

It's hard to find a bag that will be suited for warm summer nights and also for cold spring and fall nights. Usually good unzipping design may try to accommodate various temperatures. And winter does require a dedicated bag, that's for sure.

ponderosa

Much depends on where you're camping. I use a 20* down as my three-season bag, and a 0* for winter. Summer nights aren't very warm at high elevations this far north, so a 20* bag works for me most of the year. Other places, it would make more sense to have maybe a 45* three-season bag and a 20 degree winter bag.

Grandpa

There are way more than two types of bags. Like Ponderosa said, a 20 and 0 or even colder works well in this area where others may like a 45 and 20 unless they visit us during the "R" months, then they also want a 0. It just depends on your location.

You can do a lot to be comfortable at night besides the bag. Insulation from the ground is a big item. For example, during the summer I use a 2 1/2 in insulated air core for the comfort it gives. But in the spring and fall, I switch to a thermarest 2" for the added insulation and during the winter I use the Thermarest and a closed cell pad to get maximum insulation from the ground. I also carry a full set of insulated base layer in the colder months just to wear at night. A light weight set for the colder months and a heavier set for the coldest months. This combo allows me to still be warm to 10-15 below in a 0 degree bag. (A stocking hat and fresh, clean wool socks are mandatory at this temp as well.)

Judy Ann

Some say there are two types of sleeping bags, winter ones and those that are all-year-round, except for winter. So, basically, you need to have 2 sleeping bags. Would you say this is reasonable? By the way, disregard materials and technology used in their manufacturing.
I feel that when it comes to sleeping bags one must consider materials. My car camping bag is rectangular shaped, made of synthetic material, does not compact down well to fit in a backpack, and is used as a quilt at 45 degree rating. It is too hot most of the summer even in the mountains.

When I started backpacking I went with a down bag eu rated to 27 degrees for women. As others have mentioned I either wear more clothes to sleep in or less and open the bag for a light weight quilt. I also vary sleeping pads. I have taken a polartech throw for additional warmth. This works well for me since I cannot afford multiple bags for incremental temperature changes.

I have only been camping for about 2 years/over 150 bag nights, but ponderosa, Grandpa, Fridge, and others' advice has been right on and I haven't lost any sleep yet, at least not from being too cold! I guess it depends on where you live or camp as to how many bags you'll need. Economics may factor in as well.

Gondor

These are the advices I was looking for. Combining clothes and sleeping gear is the way to go I see. I also heard that from an experienced hiker I know. He said that even a heavier summer bag can be used during winter time if you carry a good sleeping pad and layer up accordingly.

rubbersoul

i've found that the little sleeping bag liners can be very nice for filling in those temperature gaps. when it's extra cold, you can sleep with the bag shut and liner, warmer with the liner and bag open, and warmer yet just the liner. i don't really like sleeping in my clothes too much.

Barney

Yes that's true. Sleeping bag can be observed as another layer of clothing and sleeping pad also. Smart thing would be to use a good sleeping bag liner. Some say that you can make one bag 4 season bag if you layer clothing, use thicker liner and moderately warm 3 season bag. Of course, this would probably exclude certain expedition winter conditions.

IndianaHiker

This is all good advice however when listening to someone say I use this bag, and that base layer and I am fine down to. Well in short don't listen.. Get a bag and base layers and try them at home or some place close to the car. I say this as there is a fine line between being slightly chilled and being miserable. Then there is another fine line between miserable and hyperthermic. Dial this system in before heading to the back county. What works for others wont be the perfect solution for you. What keeps most comfy warm I roast in for example.

Grandpa

Another thing to consider is how the bag is rated. Top quality manufacturers follow a specific industry wide test to determine the rating. However, this is not fool proof either. For example under these tests most 20 degree bags will not be comfortable at 20 degrees for most people. It usually is a few degrees off, like 27 or 28.

Now throw the cheaper bags in the mix that do not follow these guidelines. I once bought a cheap 0 degree bag and it was colder than my 20 degree bag for me. I called the rep and he said "oh no, that 0 is not a comfort rating, it's a survival rating. Yeah, I could survive in that bag wearing a base layer, stocking cap, and wool socks if the temp didn't get below 25. Yes, we had words and yes he took it back, to sell to some other sucker.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
I have a 20 degree synthetic north face bag. It's nice, packable and works in warmer weather if I unzip it some. Slept in it down to 40 degrees and about froze. Not the bags fault, though. I was in my hammock with no pad or under quilt. It wasn't supposed to be cold...
But my 20 degree synthetic army surplus bag kicks it's butt. It is definitely warmer to sleep in, but it's three times the weight and is not suitable for backpacking at all. I've slept in it down to 25 degrees, in my underwear, only with a small quilt folded double under me for a pad. The cloth inside feels better too, I think it's a cotton fabric, instead of that nylon stuff that's not what most people are used to using for a bed sheet.

ppine

Forester
Sleeping bag ratings are a relative way to compare bags by the same manufacturer. There is no standardized rating system. Trial and error.

ghostdog

Valhalla, I am coming
I have three bags, a 20 degree that is used the most, a 65 degree synthetic that I can put over that when it gets colder and I'm on a trip that goes from cold high elevations and warmer lower elevations. Then there is the 5 degree bag for those much colder trips. Mine all zip open to make quilts.

It is wise to not disregard materials though. Down will last you for decades and it will not loose its warmth rating like synthetics most certainly will. Even when you use down it is good to wash it once in a while to keep the full loft and warmth that bag can muster. I wash mine once in a while and it is easy to see how fluffy they become again and how much they fill up their big storage sacks. But its easy to wash them down out here. I do mine in a drink cooler out back with Nikwash for down, rinse it five times and then roll it up to get out most of the water. Then it goes in the washer on spin dry for two cycles and that will get so much moisture out that it is very light by now but pitifully small. Then I spread it on a table out back for a few hours, shaking and turning it every hour until all the clumps are released and fully fluffed up. It has to be completely dry. I leave mine out for about 24 hours inside on a spare bed while the down releases even more. If you have not washed your bag in a few years it is amazing how much better it ends up.

You won't ever get synthetic to loft as well as it did the first year. Down compresses better, retains its loft over decades and it lighter for the warmth rating.

IndianaHiker

There is actually a rating system that is used be the better bag makers. The EN Ratings are an across the board standard. I have found them to be pretty accurate. However they will still be difference in what use humans consider or comfort zone. I for one cant sleep on a 30 degree bag year round I would roast. This ling has a pretty good video and tips for selecting a bag.

Getting the Right Sleepingbag

ktc

I am gearing up to backpack on a tight budget.I need a sleeping pad. Im 50 so I need may need something not to thin because of the hips but I want something to pack light.There is alot to choose from out there. Any advice on where to start? ktc

Grandpa

I second the big agnes insulated air core. Thermarest also makes a quality air core but less insulation and more expensive.

Barney

I've never been a fan of inflatable sleeping pads. You need to take care of them more carefully, you need to carry a repair kit in case they puncture and the weight saving is not that big. Although space is saved considerably when compared to foam cell pads.

Pathfinder1

IndianaHiker;
There is actually a rating system that is used be the better bag makers. The EN Ratings are an across the board standard. I have found them to be pretty accurate. However they will still be difference in what use humans consider or comfort zone. I for one cant sleep on a 30 degree bag year round I would roast. This ling has a pretty good video and tips for selecting a bag.

Hi...

Thanks for the link. Excellent article.

ponderosa

I've never been a fan of inflatable sleeping pads. You need to take care of them more carefully, you need to carry a repair kit in case they puncture and the weight saving is not that big. Although space is saved considerably when compared to foam cell pads.
I can't argue with any of that...but they are just sooooo comfy, I carry one anyway. I'm a big fan of Exped. My Exped Downmat is the warmest, comfiest sleeping pad I've ever used. Hubby is happy with his Big Angnes insulated mat, but it isn't warm enough for me.