Slippery leaves

campclose

We were hiking out back in the woods behind my house and my daughter took a spill. She had sneakers on but she still slipped. The leaves were a bit wet from the dew. She hit a few small trees on the way down the hill. She is fine but said she is "over" hiking with me. That is her way of saying she isn't doing it again.

carmen

Once the leaves drop for the first time of the year I tend to take a slip too, I call it my yearly trip into the season. I hope your girl is okay. Thankfully over the years I have been very lucky (no broken bones, yet).

Snuggles

My son did the same thing several years ago and fractured his arm. I do hope your daughter will reconsider campclose. Hiking with your family is such a great experience.

ppine

Forester
Please don't give up in encouraging the kids to enjoy the outdoors.

If wet leaves are giving you trouble, use extreme caution around steep slopes and ice.

BigSur

I think we've all taken a digger or two from wet leaves haven't we? I say, if you're going down a hill, or a slope, turn your feet to the side and go slow. Having your hand out to catch yourself from falling as well.

campclose

She went back out. I told her to be more careful! No mishaps this time. I do believe we have all taken a spill from wet leaves. Good thing the ground is usually soft and muddy so no harm is usually done.

Been there and done that a few times. Can't be helped, especially if you're navigating muddy areas. That's one of the reasons I usually take along a walking stick.

Campfire Girl

My son is 7 and he has decided that wet leaves are good for sledding without snow. We have a steep hill in our backyard that he sleds on every year. He was climbing the hill and slipped on some wet leaves. After sliding to the bottom, he got up went the the garage and got out his sled.

Blazer

How about getting her some proper hiking shoes or boots and some poles if this is something you'd like to be doing with her and encouraging her to do? It makes a big difference when it comes to traction on the trail.

Charlotte

I fall all the time when I go hiking. I don't let it bug me. Slippery leaves, though, are very bad right now. I've been having a hard time on my jogs and on my hikes.