Snowmobile

JDSport

I love the winter time and playing on snowmobiles, but some people just don't have any common sense on them nor decency! Look both ways before crossing a street includes these machines!!!!!!!! Lucky my neighbors kid didn't get hit, but I sure gave his mother a talkin to!

Bobby

Unfortunately, you hear every year about kids being killed on snowmobiles. I think part of it is just the excitement - they get carried away and forget to look -- part of it is that they can't hear the traffic over the noise of the engine, but also part of it is the parents letting kids use them alone before they have the maturity to safely drive them.

BCBabe

We had the machines on our family farm: they were to help do chores, not toys. That's how we got hay from the barn to the horses and cattle and such, and feed for the pigs out to the troughs.

Heaven help the kid that took one off the fencelines, though: there were cross country ski and snow-shoe trails all over the place, and if a snowmobile took out one of those trails, my grandfather was going to take YOU outside and knock some sense into you.

They're like an ATV/ATC.... in some cases, more powerful. Helmets are the least of the safety equipment needed; snow and ice can cut you up like pavement can.

You need a licence in BC to operate a boat on the waters.... but not for a snowmobile. How interesting.....

Erwin

We were never allowed to just go off on our snowmobiles by ourselves so I wouldn't allow my children to do so. I have run across a few that lack in the common sense category when it comes to these machines.

Jade

I lost a few classmates to those machines, back in the very early 1970's: lots of power, and little common sense, make for a deadly combination.

They have a place, particularly in Search and Rescue.... then again, some of the reasons for Search and Rescue are snowmobilers in the backcountry.

I can see one being useful on a farm in snow during the winter, big-time.

Forty years ago, no one wore helmets, or safety gear, like they do today: it doesn't seem to combat stupidity, though.

Bambi

I have a friend whose parents were employees in Yellowstone National Park. They were housed right in the park. She talks about taking snow mobiles to get to school. Too cool, or what?

dinosaur

troublemaker
Well, I no longer own a snowmobile. I had one that I revved up a bit. It would do 100mph and I made sure of that. I loved that sled and I had it out in the middle of nowhere. I jumped hills, rodded through the woods, stopped and drank beers watching the deer run, shot over creeks using a snow ramp, and pretty much defied any and all good sense. And I'm still here. God protects fools and babies.

You can still do the things I did when I had a snowmobile but it's not legal anymore. I know I was crazy. But I did it and I lived through it. Taking chances with your own life is not something that should regulated. Oh, but it is now a part of everyday life. You aren't allowed to take any chances. We want you around to pay taxes.

That's another reason I am a dinosaur.

BCBabe

@ dinosaur: I'm with you, and ya, I'll second the 'stupidity' factor of things done that could have killed or seriously injured.

I'm more of a curmudegeon though, and a cranky one, at that. :)

Betty

I guess I'm a stick in the mud as far as snow mobiles. They don't fit with a "leave no trace" ethic, and the loud mechanical noise is just at odds with a natural setting. There is nothing natural that sounds like that!